User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ganymede_17

FF56 and focus of cursor on startup

Post by Ganymede_17 »

I am using the version:
Firefox Release
September 28, 2017

I got this in a recent auto-update.
My normal setup is to keep the Bookmarks tab open all the time. Previous to this update, I would open Firefox and the cursor would be on the Address bar, ready for me to enter a URL.
After this update, the cursor is on the Bookmarks search tab requiring me to tab or shift-tab to the address bar.

Not a world ending issue, but it gets more annoying everytime I start Firefox.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix or would I have to wait for a new update?
the-edmeister

Re: FF56 and focus of cursor on startup

Post by the-edmeister »

Ganymede_17 wrote: ...
My normal setup is to keep the Bookmarks tab open all the time. Previous to this update, I would open Firefox and the cursor would be on the Address bar, ready for me to enter a URL.
If you are referring to having the Bookmarks Sidebar open all the time, the revised (or new) Sidebar places the focus in the search field of the Sidebar when the sidebar opens upon launch of Firefox. Works the same when the History or Synced Tabs are open when Firefox is closed; upon launch of Firefox those sidebars will also have focus in the search field.

Sorry, I don't know of a way to override that new default action.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See also (fixed 57):
bug 1394207 - When firefox is opened with the sidebar open, the sidebar search box gets/steals focus, not the web page as previously

(please do not comment in bug reports
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html)
Ganymede_17

Post by Ganymede_17 »

Thanks for the info guys.

I have stumbled on to a nice workable work-around.

On loading Firefox and the focus goes to the Bookmarks sidebar, I simply press Ctrl-T to open a new tab.
Focus shifts to the new tab and the address bar, ready for me to carry on as normal. I don't need to do multiple Tabs/Shift-Tabs to get to the address bar and I am Okay with the first browser tab not being used.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You should be able to set focus to the location bar with one or two F6 presses.