MozillaZine

No option to "Always do this..." when attempting download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
8-bit

Post Posted October 6th, 2017, 9:58 pm

I just noticed with Firefox 56 that when I attempt to download a file type I have never downloaded before, in the dialog box I do not get the option to check "Always do this with this file type" (paraphrase).

Is this now the normal behaviour? Can anyone repro? Why would I not be getting this option...always did before.

Here's where the download link is: https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesni ... nload.html (although it will do it anywhere - not just here)

Thanks!

barbaz

Post Posted October 6th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Do you see that with any files that are not served with MIME type "application/octet-stream"?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!

dickvl

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 6:33 am

A DMG file is a Disk Image file that is used on Mac to install an application (similar to .exe on Windows).
I don't think that Firefox will offer another option than Save File for a file type that contains binary data.

barbaz

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 9:23 am

dickvl wrote:I don't think that Firefox will offer another option than Save File for a file type that contains binary data.

Whether it does or not depends on the MIME type from the server.

I just tested serving a .dmg file from my local server. By default, it gets served with MIME type "application/octet-stream" and I get the same dialog as in 8-bit's screenshot. If I set my server to use the proper MIME type, "application/x-apple-diskimage", then Firefox gives me the 'Always do this with this file type' option.

8-bit

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 8:01 pm

barbaz wrote:Whether it does or not depends on the MIME type from the server.

I just tested serving a .dmg file from my local server. By default, it gets served with MIME type "application/octet-stream" and I get the same dialog as in 8-bit's screenshot. If I set my server to use the proper MIME type, "application/x-apple-diskimage", then Firefox gives me the 'Always do this with this file type' option.

Yep, once again you are correct. I tested this as well, and when a site uses the full proper MIME type, I get the option dialog. I can then choose "Always do..." and it is saved in my prefs.

Thanks! :)
8-bit

barbaz

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 8:08 pm

You're welcome! 8-)

Return to Firefox Support