MozillaZine

Single-row bookmark bar [RESOLVED]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 6th, 2017, 11:31 pm

I believe I'll need to put my 42 bookmark folders into 1 row soon, as the 2 multi-row add-ons will disappear. How do I make the folders and spaces between my folders smaller?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=107kfw5&s=9
Last edited by LoveMyFoxy on October 13th, 2017, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

Reflective

User avatar
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: February 15th, 2007, 11:13 am

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 1:32 am

Why not use the sidebar Foxy? That includes a Search field at the top which makes it much easier to find bookmarks (assuming of course that you edited the Name field when bookmarking a site). Firefox automatically creates a "Recently bookmarked" list as well regardless of which folder a new one has been placed in. Add to that the option to create tags and it doesn't make any sense to do it the way you have it configured to my way of thinking.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 3:28 am

reason why i never used that bar. all my bookmarks are on one button which was ever a firefox feature.
its called "bookmark toolbar items" and looks in firefox 57 like this [*] (star in a box)
see also
https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/u ... e92a57.png

its a regular subfolder in the bookmarks bar and you can drag it anywhere. click on it reveals all bookmarks and folders in a manner which is readable.

dickvl

User avatar
 
Posts: 52256
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 3:25 am

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 9:00 am

You can set negative margin-left and margin-right values for items on the Bookmarks Toolbar via userChrome.css to make items smaller.

You can place this code in userChrome.css file below the default @namespace line.
The userChrome.css file is located in the chrome folder in the Firefox profile folder.
The userChrome.css and chrome names are case sensitive.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/userChrome.css
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_configuration

Code: Select all
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#personal-bookmarks  toolbarbutton {
margin-left:-2px !important;
margin-right: -2px !important;
}

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 7th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Brummelchen wrote:reason why i never used that bar. all my bookmarks are on one button which was ever a firefox feature.
its called "bookmark toolbar items" and looks in firefox 57 like this [*] (star in a box)
see also
https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/u ... e92a57.png

its a regular subfolder in the bookmarks bar and you can drag it anywhere. click on it reveals all bookmarks and folders in a manner which is readable.


If I had wanted that, I wouldn't have asked.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted October 8th, 2017, 1:36 am

maybe you should add font-family arial narrow to make characters smaller.

no need to worry, only a suggestion to get rid of future limitations. multirow is gone.

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 8th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Reflective wrote:Why not use the sidebar Foxy? That includes a Search field at the top which makes it much easier to find bookmarks (assuming of course that you edited the Name field when bookmarking a site). Firefox automatically creates a "Recently bookmarked" list as well regardless of which folder a new one has been placed in. Add to that the option to create tags and it doesn't make any sense to do it the way you have it configured to my way of thinking.


I use both together. Some of my subfolders are 3 levels in. When I'm moving or copying a bookmark from one folder to another, with about 1800 bookmarks, it's easier to have 2 bars.
Last edited by LoveMyFoxy on October 8th, 2017, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 8th, 2017, 4:33 pm

dickvl wrote:You can set negative margin-left and margin-right values for items on the Bookmarks Toolbar via userChrome.css to make items smaller.

You can place this code in userChrome.css file below the default @namespace line.
The userChrome.css file is located in the chrome folder in the Firefox profile folder.
The userChrome.css and chrome names are case sensitive.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/userChrome.css
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_configuration

Code: Select all
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#personal-bookmarks  toolbarbutton {
margin-left:-2px !important;
margin-right: -2px !important;
}


I already have the 2 chrome files. Didn't do anything. Yes, it's in the correct file.

Combined a few, down to 7 in the bottom row. Some of these folders are huge, combining them in the toolbar, they'll run past the bottom of the monitor
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

dickvl

User avatar
 
Posts: 52256
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 3:25 am

Post Posted October 9th, 2017, 10:58 am

It works for me without extensions that can possibly override this.
If you currently have extensions that deal with items in the Bookmarks Toolbar then it is quite possible that they will override settings made in userChrome.css (they are applied later and have the !ipmortant flag).
So you can only use this code when you aren't using other extensions.
You can try it in a new profile.

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 9th, 2017, 3:40 pm

No extensions, just one userchrome code making the font Arial 8. Didn't even know I had it.


}
/*Change toolbar font*/
#toolbar{ font-family: Arial !important; font-size: 8pt !important; color: #0000ff !important;
}


I have just 5 more to squeeze into the top. I don't see the spaces or folders getting any smaller.It will be something to work on till May 2018 :mrgreen:
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

dickvl

User avatar
 
Posts: 52256
Joined: July 18th, 2005, 3:25 am

Post Posted October 10th, 2017, 11:28 am

What is that first '}' about?
Is that part of another rule just above this one?

Note that #toolbar is an ID and likely won't have any effect.
You probably want something like this with toolbar or toolbar * as selector:
Code: Select all
toolbar {
 font-family: Arial !important; font-size: 8pt !important; color: #0000ff !important;
}

the-edmeister

User avatar
 
Posts: 31875
Joined: February 25th, 2003, 12:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Post Posted October 10th, 2017, 1:09 pm

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Combined a few, down to 7 in the bottom row. Some of these folders are huge, combining them in the toolbar, they'll run past the bottom of the monitor

Should scroll with the mouse wheel to access the bookmarks that "hang off" the bottom of the browser window or "bottom of the monitor". The way I have it setup the mouse wheel does work like that; but I only use one folder in "Bookmarks Toolbar Items", similar to what Brummelchen mentioned. Plus I move the "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" folder up to between the Location Bar and the Search Bar, then hide the empty Bookmarks Toolbar to save that vertical space. Been doing that arrangement since Firefox 0.9.

.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 10th, 2017, 4:10 pm

dickvl wrote:What is that first '}' about?
Is that part of another rule just above this one?
---


Yes, there's the the namespace statement above it
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

LoveMyFoxy

User avatar
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: December 11th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: USA

Post Posted October 10th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Are you guys prepared to turn hundreds of legacy extensions into css code ? It's going to be like (I Love) Lucy in the candy factory.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64, 6GB RAM /FF ESR / Thunderbird 52 / Chrome /Opera / Avira A-V / Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

jscher2000

User avatar
 
Posts: 10077
Joined: December 19th, 2004, 12:26 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA USA

Post Posted October 10th, 2017, 4:56 pm

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Are you guys prepared to turn hundreds of legacy extensions into css code ? It's going to be like (I Love) Lucy in the candy factory.

There are several candy factories running full tilt these days. A new-ish one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests