MozillaZine

After crash my Firefox session, browsing history, cookies an

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Stormtrooper322

Post Posted October 12th, 2017, 8:43 am

Version 56.0.1

Firefox crashed on me perhaps because I had too many tabs opened. The "Restore previous session" button is unavailable. My entire search history is gone, cookies too so I was logged out of every site. I think I was wrong by saying in the title that logins and passwords were lost since I seem to have them but Reddit at least didn't let me login with what was saved.

I tried to restore my session by renaming files in the profile folder as I've done before.

But my profile folder was very different. In the sessionstore-backups folder the files ended in .jsonlz4 and .baklz4. I don't remember what the endings were before but they weren't these ones. The current files were also way too recent to replace a file in the main directory. I don't see my usual backups or backups that I think are automatically generated when Firefox gets updates. Furthermore I don't even know which file I'm supposed to replace now since I don't see the old one, sessionstore.js

Can anyone help?

therube

Post Posted October 12th, 2017, 9:46 am

Are you sure a "Reset" was not done?
Check your desktop to see if a copy of your prior Profile was dropped there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Stormtrooper322

Post Posted October 12th, 2017, 10:56 am

Nope, no copy. Maybe I have accidentally clicked the option "Clear history when Firefox closes"? Is there still a way to recover the previous session or a session from the past month?

dickvl

Post Posted October 12th, 2017, 12:29 pm

The files used by sessionstore are now compressed .jsonlz4 files in the current release.
This has happened to sessionstore.jsonlz4 and the files in the sessionstore-backups folder.
Previously those files were uncompressed .js files (sessionstore.js).

Do you have an "Old Firefox Data" folder on the desktop in case a new profile has been created?

You can check the about:profiles page to see if there are profile listed other than the one you correctly use and check for unlisted (orphaned) profiles on the hard drive.

Return to Firefox Support