MozillaZine

Tabs below the address bar in Firefox 56+

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Malygris

Post Posted October 14th, 2017, 9:06 am

I've been using the "Tabs On Bottom" extension for years, because I really (very strongly) prefer that Firefox tabs are beneath the address bar, directly above the browser window. But it's a legacy extension, and that's going to become a problem very soon. I'm looking for replacements for the functionality I've lost in a few other legacy extensions, but this one seems the simplest so I'm starting here: How can I get the tabs below the address bar, instead of above it? Surely I can't be the only one who wants this feature, and surely it can't be that difficult to implement. (Especially since it used to be an option.)

MarkRH

Post Posted October 14th, 2017, 11:12 am

I know in 57 it can be done with userChrome.css changes.
Code: Select all
/* Puts tabs on the bottom */

#TabsToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #888 !important; 
}
#nav-bar{ border-top-width: 0px !important; }

Aris has made CSS tweaks for most of what CTR could do: https://github.com/aris-t2/customcssforfx

Not sure if it will work the same in 56; however, Classic Theme Restorer does still work in 56 to put tabs on bottom.

Malygris

Post Posted October 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Thanks. Man, this seems really unnecessarily complicated. Kind of thing I was hoping to avoid. But after cleaning out a pile of old extensions, I'm wondering if maybe I should just suck it up and try to get used to it being this way.

Return to Firefox Support