About:config question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tnffuser

About:config question

Post by tnffuser »

With an extension removed are references in about:config also removed?
If not when are they removed.
mightyglydd

Re: About:config question

Post by mightyglydd »

1. Often, No
2. When you reset them.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It depends on the extension. Some do, and some don't. There are two schools of thought. The extension author determines which camp s/he belongs to.

1 - You wanted to remove it, so the prefs are removed when you uninstall.

2 - Maybe you'll change your mind and reinstall it later. Or you accidentally uninstalled it. Not to worry, your old prefs are intact!

If the author was part of camp 1, I believe they are removed at the next shutdown/restart of Firefox. If they are of camp 2, whenever you get around to hunting them down and removing them yourself.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
therube

Post by therube »

You would expect a well written extension to use its own preferences & not affect "built in" prefs.
That way if you remove the extension, the fact that its' prefs remain, or not, is immaterial.

(Don't really know anything about writing extensions, but that is what I would expect ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript