MozillaZine

A couple of sync questions.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Starlite

Post Posted October 17th, 2017, 2:21 pm

I have never used sync before but I do have 4 boxes that I use FF on.

If I open a FF account for syncing what happens?

Is there one box that is the primary one and all sync to it or how eos it work?

If I use box 1 and then go to box 2 later that day and open FF, is all my info there?

Then after using Box 2, I go back to Box 1, has that all updated to what I just did?

What happens if I have to start a new FF, will it over-ride the good ones I have on other boxes.

Sorry but Just need to clarify as I don't want to lose anything and using this as a backup in case one box goes down.

Thanks

the-edmeister

Post Posted October 17th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Sync is not a backup service, but if one PC is re-formatted the Firefox data from Sync will be synchronized back to that device when Sync is Connected again on that device.

There is no "primary" device, all desktop & laptop devices are equal. Mobile devices (smart phones and tablets) may not receive all the bookmarks and won't receive all the browsing history from the desktop / laptop devices.

Sync is made to be running when Firefox is running; constantly synchronizing data with the Sync server as Firefox is being used. When Firefox is opened on a device data from other devices will get sync'd almost immediately.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Return to Firefox Support