One Profile Will Not Open Maximized (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

One Profile Will Not Open Maximized (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (Wall Creators update, but problem seen before yesterday's Windows update,) Fx 56.0 (64-bit.)

Fx opens non-maximized; not minimized, just partial-screen sized.)

1. Created desktop shortcut, set it to open maximized, clicked on, Fx opened maximized. Closed Fx, tried again, Fx opened non-maximized. Tried closing with both the upper-right "x", and with Exit command, same behavior.

2. Renamed xulstore.json, restarted Fx, opened non-maximized.

3. Safe Mode makes no difference.

Behavior seen with both the shortcut and with Fx pinned to the task bar. Two other profiles both open maximized every time; anything else to try to force this miscreant profile to open maximized?

(incidentally, that is not the only oddity of the non-max profile, which is only a few weeks old: When I go to the Microsoft Update Assistant, it does not offer the Windows 10 Fall Creators update, which should be at the top of the page. I got the update file another way for my computer, then, on my wife's computer, got it through the Update Assistant. With the release of Fx 57 not far in the future, I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to fix this profile, but getting it to open maximized would be nice.)
Last edited by John Liebson on October 20th, 2017, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: One Profile Will Not Open Maximized

Post by therube »

Are you opening from Session Restore, or newly, to your Home Page (or blank page or similar)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

therube wrote:Are you opening from Session Restore, or newly, to your Home Page (or blank page or similar)?
Opening a new instance to blank page each time, as set in Options/General/When Firefox start. As stated, using a desktop shortcut set to open maximize worked once, then not again, and the Fx icon pinned to the task bar, which is how I always (until trying the desktop shortcut as an experiment), is how I always open the program.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

win10 1607 - firefox (57) behaves normal - means - it restores its own size and position, against link settings.
could be 1709 issue.

btw
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
fake user agent? no good!
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Brummelchen wrote:win10 1607 - firefox (57) behaves normal - means - it restores its own size and position, against link settings.
could be 1709 issue.

btw
fake user agent? no good!
Could be a 1709 problem, except that the other two fx profiles don't show the problem. I have been pondering as to when I first saw the non-maximized opening; I am not at all certain if it was before updating to the Windows Fall Creators version.

I just created a new profile, which opened non-maximized. I set it to maximized, and closed and reopened it twice; it opened maximized the two times that I reopened it.

As for the user agent, I never changed it, so whatever it says is whatever Fx determined, I guess. As to why it might be fake, as your assertion provides no information as to why you make the statement, the assertion is useless.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I just created a new profile, which opened non-maximized. I set it to maximized, and closed and reopened it twice; it opened maximized the two times that I reopened it.
when link is set to maximized?
i dont really have a clue because firefox is set as a regular window, not maximized, and will restore same size&position. web sites are not that big or wide ;)
maybe firefox behave here this way because it is set to restore previous session. (no session manager)

concerning user agent - some people have several equipment (like me) and user another computer to post a problem.
there is no significant difference between US is shown win10/firefox 56 or win7/firefox50 - its windows and its firefox. but some sites are programmed to show this issue and fake update sites have less effort to convince people to upgrade with this data (ofc with a malware version of firefox). in rare cases websites behave different.

any information about wrong user agents is helpful, some people dont know it and as you stated you have changed it once and forgot (firefox never wont do that itself).
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Brummelchen wrote:
when link is set to maximized?
i dont really have a clue because firefox is set as a regular window, not maximized, and will restore same size&position. web sites are not that big or wide ;)
maybe firefox behave here this way because it is set to restore previous session. (no session manager)

concerning user agent - some people have several equipment (like me) and user another computer to post a problem.
there is no significant difference between US is shown win10/firefox 56 or win7/firefox50 - its windows and its firefox. but some sites are programmed to show this issue and fake update sites have less effort to convince people to upgrade with this data (ofc with a malware version of firefox). in rare cases websites behave different.

any information about wrong user agents is helpful, some people dont know it and as you stated you have changed it once and forgot (firefox never wont do that itself).
1. I did not set the link; I created the test profile, used Profile Manager to open Fx, maximized, closed it, reopened it again using Profile Manager, as I had deselected the option to always open with the same profile. I am with you on one thing, I also have no clue, which is why I asked if anyone else did; so far, no one does. It is something that I had not encountered previously, and continue to wonder why it is happening and, perhaps, how to fix it.

2. Not only did I not say that I had changed the useragent once, I said exactly the opposite: "As for the user agent, I never changed it...". It helps to actually read before writing.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

"As for the user agent, I never changed it..."
idd, misunderstood it. then something or somebody changed it for you. i hope there is no software in background which causes the bad windows behavior, when changing the UA it can do quite more. ;) peace.
as I had deselected the option to always open with the same profile.
thats how i work - i have several firefox version with each a profile. (not portable, controlled by profiles.ini -> profile manager)

on win10 firefox popup maximized and then felt back into window mode. that is only what i know beside windows feature to save window size&position (it is somewhere hidden in the registry.
for some reason once i had a window manager (x86) installed - oh still installed -> AutoSizer. it does not work on x64. any mew known for x64 is payware, not free. pity.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I do not know this, I am only surmising that the useragent string, which you claim is defective without providing any proof, has nothing to do with the failure of this one Fx profile to not open maximized. I base that statement on the fact that I have opened four different Fx profiles over the past day or so, and only this one does not maximize. Furthermore, I have had at least three or four other profiles that, over the past few months, were created only to test something, all opened maximized.

The only profile that opened once, non-maximized, and which after I had maximized it, reopened maximized, was the test profile that I created earlier today; that may well be something related to my having installed the Fall Creators two days ago, as today's new Fx profile was the first one I created after the Windows 10 update. I realize that, were I Io now start copying the standard files to copy from an old profile to a new one, this situation might well change; I am going to do that sometime, but when, I have no idea.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

which you claim is defective without providing any proof
not defective, but changed. you started with:
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (Wall Creators update, but problem seen before yesterday's Windows update,) Fx 56.0 (64-bit.)
i honestly only asked:
fake user agent?
that is only assumption either fake ua or another system and browser.
you did not deny another system and browser - so you are using a fake ua, weather you set it by purpose or not.

weather it makes no sense for you but wrong UA can cause firefox misbehave - no more, no less.

if you did not set it then a software or extension did for you - and such software or extension can make friefox misbehave when opening and restoring windows size&position. in a fresh profile you had setup your UA should show the correct windows and firefox version. firefox dont change that itself then it would be marked (bold) as a user changed value -> about:config -> general.useragent.override
see also
https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to ... xtensions/
(scroll down to the firefox manual)

i am still point out that your UA is not matching your problem description, there is nothing to worry or getting rude, its only a hint for you. and if you did nothing and you are taking care of such informations you may go after it. no more, no less.
I am going to do that sometime
ofc you have some other unexpected to solve, no need to hurry.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Good Grief: "Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (Wall Creators update, but problem seen before yesterday's Windows update,) Fx 56.0 (64-bit.)" is NOT a useragent string, it is a very simple statement of my OS, complete with a misspelling of 'Fall'. That does not even resemble any Firefox useragent string, to the best of my knowledge.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

John Liebson, do you have about:config > privacy.resistFingerprinting set to true?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

^^ idd first time i read the headling "Fall Creatures updates..." - hmm it fell? some funny aspect in this case - "1709 CU" would match it better.
nevertheless i am sorry, my LTSB is fixed to 1607 until the bitter end.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

barbaz wrote:John Liebson, do you have about:config > privacy.resistFingerprinting set to true?
Yes, I do. i did not make any change to that setting (which shows as modified,) having never seen it before now, having no idea what it does, although perhaps it would help keep a monitor clean. Is it possible that an extension modified it, whose default I take to be false?

Seems odd to me, but then, even even seems odd to me.... I toggled the entry, Fx starts maximized both through a restart and by closing it and opening it from the task bar.

As Gilbert and Sullivan have it in HMS Pinafore, "Never mind the why and wherefore"--but I would like to know what this setting does, why it does it, etc.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

John Liebson wrote: I would like to know what this setting does, why it does it, etc.
I don't really know either, but I think this is related - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Fingerprinting