Unwanted redirect notice

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Happy112

Re: Unwanted redirect notice

Post by Happy112 »

8-bit wrote:
Happy112 wrote:How is learning something a waste of time?
When a Mozilla administrator makes a video that is unprofessional, amateurish, and uninformative. Without mincing words here: the clarity of the information presented in that video sucks.
I will refrain from commenting, except for this :
I've learned a lot from that video and I want to say "Thank you" to that Administrator who took the time and made the effort trying to make life a little easier for others.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Happy112 wrote:
Reflective wrote: Nooooooooo......... I don't wanna be wasting time looking at videos: just give me the location and I'll make a note of it.
How is learning something a waste of time ?

You want me to give you a link to what ? To 'Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page' ? It's not in Options/Preferences anymore - hence the video .....
But I'll give you this : you can now toggle that as a preference in about:config - type : 'accessibility.blockautofresh' (without the quotation marks) and set its value to either 'true' or 'false'.

Ah c'mon : watch that video - you won't regret it, promise.
What?!! Learning???? We're merely talking about a setting which no longer exists at its former location and has been moved to another one within the browser menu. All I requested from you was the link to that i.e. about:preferences followed by the actual location. So if its been moved to the General tab for example the link would be about:preferences#general or if its been moved to the Security menu, the link would be about:preferences#security.

Got it?
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Reflective wrote: Got it?
Sir ! Yes, Sir ! (or Ma'am)

My apologies for trying to help .....
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Happy112 wrote:
Reflective wrote: Got it?
Sir ! Yes, Sir ! (or Ma'am)

My apologies for trying to help .....
I understand you mean well Happy112, but if someone asks you for directions in the street somewhere, you don't tell them to go watch a certain youtube video which teaches them how to go to a newsagent and buy a map do you?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Happy112 wrote:
Grumpus wrote:"Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page". is still there in 56 under "Block Pop-up Windows."
Hey Grumpy, please don't bite my head off, but it says : " Warn you when websites try to install add-ons " under 'Block pop-up windows' .....
Egads, time to find a nice ice flow, grab a beer and the lawn chair. :oops:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Can we all just stop this back 'n' forth bickering now...please?
Get back on topic.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Reflective wrote: I understand you mean well Happy112, but if someone asks you for directions in the street somewhere, you don't tell them to go watch a certain youtube video which teaches them how to go to a newsagent and buy a map do you?
This thread was started by 'jglanvil' who was given the correct answer by 'barbaz' right away.

I later repeated that answer, and threw in the video as a bonus and even a way to get the 'old' Options/Preferences back .

The directions to the street were given, with a little 'extra's .

I'm sorry you feel the way you do - you don't HAVE to watch the video, it's for those who want to find out more about these changes in Options/Preferences 56.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Can we all just stop this back 'n' forth bickering now...please?
Get back on topic.
Nobody's bickering - we're having a friendly conversation and it's on topic (as far as I'm concerned).

But I've run out of ideas as to how to explain it any better - hence the video ......
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jglanvil wrote:I have spent much time looking on line and reading about fixes for this problem. Nothing works.
Redirects you say, no problem, watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJk7i1fv-qs
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

Happy112 wrote:I will refrain from commenting, except for this :
I've learned a lot from that video and I want to say "Thank you" to that Administrator who took the time and made the effort trying to make life a little easier for others.
Happy112, no offense intended toward you with my post - please do not take it personally. If you learned something from that video, then great - more power to you. The video just did not answer the OP that's all. No harm meant - it's all good.

I would like the OP to provide a link that shows a "different" redirect notice though, 'cause I've never seen one. Unfortunately, I think we scared him off. Not a good thing I suppose...
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@ a-bit :

All good - no worries !

I'm kind of hoping that the OP has not been 'scared off' by us - but that his/her problem has already been solved.
After all : 'barbaz' provided the correct answer to the OP's question right away (or didn't he/she ?)
Yes, that's why we're here : to try and solve problems - not always easy, eh ?
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

Google Chrome is currently meeting my Google news reading needs.

In contrast, the "Unwanted redirect notice" phenomenon in Firefox continues — despite a Firefox update during the past week. It was receiving that Firefox update that caused me to give the FF browser another try at Google news reading.

I run FF 56.0.2 (64-bit) under Windows 7 on an Acer laptop.

The following two paragraphs summarize the experimental evidence obtained when I read Google news in FF.

Following issuing the command "about:config > set accessibility.blockautorefresh to false" clicking on any Google News link gives me the following two lines 1. "The previous page is sending you to [the link for whatever news item I clicked on] 2. "If you do not want to visit that page, you can return to the previous page." Clicking on 2 does nothing.

Following issuing the command "about:config > set accessibility.blockautorefresh to true" clicking on any Google News link gives me the following gray-colored highlighted different message "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page. Allow." Clicking allow at this point brings up the same two-line message received when blockautorefresh is set false.

I will not (mostly cannot, because I was not keeping detailed notes) recount all the various possible fixes I have tried, but there have been lots of them. In summary, I have tried the suggestions in this thread and many of the multiple suggestions found by a Google search for the phrase "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page."

I am a 10-year-plus user of both FF and TB. My notes record that on Sunday June 3rd, 2007, I started a download of Firefox 2.0. During the past decade I have posted only a handful of questions to Mozilla Forums. The infrequency of my forum postings reflects the fact that I have been able to muddle along with FF and TB on my own for a long time.

This summer, something bad seems to have happened to FF. FF seems to be losing its way and I am unsure what to make of Waterfox. I had/have several additional threads that I intended to introduce here about more recent FF problems.

Frankly, I expected the "unwanted redirect" issue to have a trivial solution, so I began my planned series of forum topic posts by posting about it. The other issues are not trivial and now, after my present experience, I am uncertain about whether it is even worth introducing them here (with an obvious alternative at hand).

Right now I find myself reaching into my toolbox for FF less and less and for GC more and more.

In the early days of home computing the community of interested amateur users contributed greatly to making progress. They even contributed significantly to the rapid development of the PC. I regard this forum as a relic living fossil of those distant wild old days.

Many thanks to all the contributors here and particularly to all who have tried to help.

Especial thanks to person with the "klaatu barada nikto" icon for what must be a major time commitment to this forum.

jg
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Are you saying that you cant reach the Old, Dead, Broken Google news page https://encrypted.google.com/search?sou ... PHY-DLlWRk
and you do not Like the new Google News format and the way it is rendered> https://news.google.com/news/?ned=us&hl=en

How is Firefox to be blamed for that ?
BTW, maybe try MS Bing news page
https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Top+ ... ORM=NWRFSH
Last edited by JayhawksRock on October 28th, 2017, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

No. No. And because it's klutzy.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

jglanvil wrote:No. No. And because it's klutzy.
How about the MS Bing News page
https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Top+ ... ORM=NWRFSH

or somthing from here > https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/10/googl ... ernatives/
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln