Unwanted redirect notice

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jglanvil

Re: Unwanted redirect notice

Post by jglanvil »

I have never visited the MS Bing News page. I came here to ask for help in getting to Google News with FF rather that with GC.

I am very grateful to the people who have tried to help and would appreciate any insight on solving the actual problem.

If I can get ever this FF problem resolved I have other (more serious) issues with FF that I may raise here.

I wonder if in this day and age the era of Internet amateurs has passed?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jglanvil wrote:I wonder if in this day and age the era of Internet amateurs has passed?
Judging by the effort this guy put into solving their problem, it would appear so, wouldn't it? -
jglanvil wrote:Thanks for trying. I just wanted a step-by-step solution without the lectures.

Firefox is a tool, not a graduate school course or an IQ test.

I'll just go with Google Chrome.

jg
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

mightyglydd

Thanks for posting the link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox). I am not sure how it is supposed to help me.

I would be pleased if you could analyze the experimental evidence I posted earlier.

Why did a recent longer post from you disappear?

Thanks again to everyone who is trying to help.

jg
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

jglanvil wrote:Frankly, I expected the "unwanted redirect" issue to have a trivial solution, so I began my planned series of forum topic posts by posting about it. The other issues are not trivial and now, after my present experience, I am uncertain about whether it is even worth introducing them here (with an obvious alternative at hand).
Well, 8 days ago therube asked you for the URL that was causing the redirect notice. You did not provide it. Will you indeed provide a link that causes the redirect notice(s) so that we can test/replicate the problem and see it for ourselves? If we can't repro, we can't help you.

One question that has not been asked, but you may have already tried (I assume you did though as you have been pretty thorough with this) - have you tried this with a stock/new profile - nothing added whatsoever - no about:config tweaks?

Information such as this will help us try to find a solution so that we may help OTHER users as well.
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

8-bit:

The Google news URL for me is https://news.google.com/news/?ned=us&hl=en. I just got that from GC because right now FF cannot reach that URL and gives the Windows rotating circle icon indefinitely (an issue for later maybe).

I chose not to reply to therube because I thought the answer was obvious and his request asking for all that I had tried was unrealistic.

In FF (when it is functioning, which is not right now), any news link I click there at the above link (when I can reach it in FF) gives me the problem I have documented here with experimental evidence.

I know nothing about stock / new profile. If you provide me with clear step-by-step instructions I will try it.

Firefox once seemed marvelous. Now it seems so klutzy and past generation.

Thanks very much for trying to help. I know that you and others here mean well.

jg
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Step 6; Standard Diagnostic: Create a New Profile.. Add NOTHING
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles

Having used Firefox for all these years I assume the first thing you tried was Safe Mode ?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode

@I see you've failed to mention which AV/Firewall you use.
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

mightyglydd

Many thanks for posting all these links. I appreciate that you are trying to help.

Not only have I never in all these years tried safe mode, I don't even know what it is.

What is an AV firewall?

Maybe you could try addressing my experimental evidence? I see that you haven't.

Please do keep fighting.

Regards,

jg
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

jglanvil wrote:8-bit:

The Google news URL for me is https://news.google.com/news/?ned=us&hl=en. I just got that from GC because right now FF cannot reach that URL and gives the Windows rotating circle icon indefinitely (an issue for later maybe).

In FF (when it is functioning, which is not right now), any news link I click there at the above link (when I can reach it in FF) gives me the problem I have documented here with experimental evidence.
Ok....just went to the link... Clicked on a few articles and did not receive any redirect notices. For me, in about:config accessibility.blockautorefresh is set to true as well, so I should definitely be getting redirect notices if necessary. One of the links sent me to a News Week article, so I would have expected a redirect notice - although with Google, who knows - they could have cached it on their own servers. Don't really know. Bottom line - no redirect notices.
jglanvil wrote:I know nothing about stock / new profile. If you provide me with clear step-by-step instructions I will try it.
I am running macOS. Someone who is running Windows will have to jump in and give you clear instructions on how to do this. The above does point to some kind of problem though, and for you FF cannot even reach the site (right now), so I believe something may be corrupt in your installation, or there is another conflict of some sort. Deffering to Windows helpers for now....
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Mighty already gave a link to creating a new profile.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

malliz:

Why do I have to create a new profile after all these years?

What is evidence that it will do any good?

Why has FF become so Klutzy:

Thanks for your efforts to help.

JG
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I seriously doubt you want or need our help anymore. I am out
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

malliz:

I am sorry you have a problem and are out. I just wanted a clear cut solution to my well defined FF issue. I need help, but am having great difficulty getting it here. Why do I have to create a new profile after all these years?

After this experience here I am seriously considering simply uninstalling FF.

But many thanks to you and to the many people here who have been trying to help.

Regards to you and Oz.

JG

-
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

jglanvil wrote:Maybe you could try addressing my experimental evidence? I see that you haven't.
After this experience here I am seriously considering simply uninstalling FF.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... r-computer
jglanvil

Post by jglanvil »

mightyglydd

Why are you so intent in turning ordinary users against Firefox?

Why keep fighting Michael to convince me to use GC?

But many thanks to people who are fighting for FF.