Does Firefox need to download widevinecdm.dll every session

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
adgsteve

Does Firefox need to download widevinecdm.dll every session

Post by adgsteve »

Finally got around to updating to 56 (64bit)and now every session Norton tells me Firefox downloaded widevinecdm.dll, and two more vine cdm. I mean really, 6 times today alone. Every time I open the browser it downloads the files. Does it forget? Is it getting old and senile? Browser Alzheimers?
Reflective

Re: Does Firefox need to download widevinecdm.dll every sess

Post by Reflective »

If you're not proposing to watch DRM protected content, you can disable it. See: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm
adgsteve

Post by adgsteve »

Well my question was more along the lines of why does firefox need to download these files multiple times per session. It stopped doing it shortly after I posted this question but now this morning in a 1 hour session it has already downloaded these files 5 separate times. No big deal but it makes it look like something is broken.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Are you using a new profile each time?

I noticed that each time I create a new profile and launch Firefox in it both Widevine (widevinecdm.dll) and OpenH264 (gmpopenh264.dll) are downloaded and stored in subdirectories in the profile.

As you can imagine, this can keep one's antivirus software busy when running a mozregression. :)