Theme Font & Size Changer extension for FF57+

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Theme Font & Size Changer extension for FF57+

Post by joeg »

Hi from Berlin,

For people who don't yet know it, Frank Lion is an extremely helpful person. He has taken the time to bail me out with Fx problems on more than one occasion.

As for Theme Font & Size Changer for FF57+, a quick read of recent reviews on the extension's page points out a lot of unhappy campers. It appears that most of them were caught unaware of what was coming up in Fx 57.

I'm not quite sure why, but the dev did an update of the extension (v.62) that apparently can be installed on 57, but, if I understand the comments correctly, is useless.

I installed it on Fx ESR (latest version), but there, too, it simply didn't work: the fonts were miniscule again and none of the other customizations worked either.

I solved the problem easily by going back to Theme & Font Size Changer v. 56; everything is fine again.

My concern now relates to a topic that I know has been discussed elsewhere, but I've searched and searched and have come up empty handed.

The problem: For some reason, so far (before v. 56, the last one that still works) the dev has programmed the extension with an "expiry date", i.e. on a given date, it simply stops working. Then he puts out a new version that functions till the next expiry date. I'm afraid this may also be the case with 56.

What I've been searching for relates to reading somewhere that it's not terribly complicated to change the extension code, though, I don't think modifying the .rdf file does the trick.

Does anyone know where this was discussed or, better still, the solution?

If push comes to shove, I'll drop the extension and go to Frank Lion's solution, but being the lazy lizard that I am, I'll try to fix the extension first, if possible.

Thank you.

P.S. Over the years I've had some contact with the extension developer. He's been both polite and communicative. I've written to him about this issue, but haven't yet had a response.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
therube

Post by therube »

it's not terribly complicated to change the extension code
Changing code is kind of a moot point, because once you change the code - even changing 1 letter in a word due to a typo, the signing of the extension (which is required) will be broken, so you won't be able to install.

You can work around it, perhaps a build where you can disable the signing requirement, or you could get your modified copy signed, but really, are you going to do that?

So, in the end, Mozilla has you just where they want you.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

@therube

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, I'm planning to drop Firefox completely when ESR hits v.57 next spring. I'm already using Pale Moon as my main browser; Fx has been relegated to my "oldies but goodies" folder.

In this regard, my real concern is sustainable functionality in Pale Moon. It's my (perhaps false) impression that it's not so fussy about signing.

Another point is that I don't want to "install" anything; I merely want the version that's already installed to keep working. As I've mentioned, there's a "how to" out there somewhere. I just haven't been able to put my finger on it.

And if worse comes to worse, there's always Frank Lion's solution. I'm confident it will continue to work in Pale Moon for the foreseeable future.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
therube

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey & Pale Moon are not encumbered by "signing", so yes, you can do anything then that works.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
joeg

Post by joeg »

If your Theme and Font Size Changer datebombed today, you might want to have a look at this.
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17931
Bobbert

Post by Bobbert »

I am also interested in a working copy of this extension for FF 57.
Rob
allande

Post by allande »

Firefox 57 and up do not support extensions that change the UI. So no such thing will exist. If you read the beginning of this thread you will see how you can use userChrome.css to change the UI font.
This modified extension: http://www.rossde.com/ThemeFontSizeChan ... index.html will work in Thunderbird, Seamonkey, and maybe some other alternate browsers.
If you use Firefox 52-56, you can install that extension ONLY by disabling the signing feature. For that information see here: http://www.largrizzly.net/firefox.html