Is Firefox supposed to create multiple copies of itself?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Markone

Is Firefox supposed to create multiple copies of itself?

Post by Markone »

Recently maybe after updating to 56 (I now have 56.0.2. 64bit Firefox on Windows 7) I have noticed, looking at the task manager processes tab, that Firefox creates 4 or more copies of itself whenever I open Firefox. I'm not sure if this happened earlier. Is it meant to happen?

As a side note, I had to disable most of my addons because after the new updates Firefox is slow and laggy or completely freezes sometimes if I have multiple tabs and windows open. Often if I switch tabs quickly the new tab is blank for a while and there is a circular "loading" icon in the middle of the page. I did a clean install of Firefox but it didn't fix the problem but disabling addons seems to help.
DanRaisch

Re: Is Firefox supposed to create multiple copies of itself?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
I did a clean install of Firefox
Did that "clean install" include creation of a new profile or just replacement of the program files?
Markone

Post by Markone »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Firefox Support.
I did a clean install of Firefox
Did that "clean install" include creation of a new profile or just replacement of the program files?
I removed everything Firefox related I could find, like everything under C:\Users\...username...\AppData. Of course after this I did import my old bookmarks and reinstalled addons.
allande

Post by allande »

4 Firefox processes in task manager is normal in new versions. If you want to disable the multiprocess feature that can be done, create or set browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 to false in about:config.
Markone

Post by Markone »

allande wrote:4 Firefox processes in task manager is normal in new versions. If you want to disable the multiprocess feature that can be done, create or set browser.tabs.remote.autostart and browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 to false in about:config.
Ok good to know, thanks.