Do people have problems with Firefox since the 56 update?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Markone

Do people have problems with Firefox since the 56 update?

Post by Markone »

I don't know if it started earlier but at least since 56 Firefox has become slower and always becomes laggy and unresponsive after using it for a while, especially if I have multiple tabs and windows in use. For example when switching tabs fast the new tab is sometimes blank for a second or two and there is a sort of round loading icon in the middle of the blank page, as I'm typing this the cursor becomes unresponsive sometimes etc. It's becoming unusable.
Especially Youtube and Netflix cause this.

Disabling addons helps a little bit, not much, but obviously that's not a good solution.

I did a clean install removing everything Firefox related in %APPDATA%, in fact everything under C:\Users\<username>\AppData but it did nothing. Is it possible I have too many bookmarks?

I don't know if Firefox uses more memory than before since I never paid much attention to that, but it seems high. Now with 2 windows and 20 tabs, the four Firefox processes combined consume about 2 milj. K of memory

Maybe it's because of the couple of year old computer I use for home surfing, but this caused no problems before and the computer works fine. The problems started after the new updates. I'm using Windows 7 64bit and now Firefox 56.0.2 64bit. I have no time or appetite to start trouble shooting this at the moment. Basically I'm asking if these are known/common problems.
Last edited by Markone on October 29th, 2017, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Re: Do people have problems with Firefox since the 56 update

Post by Brummelchen »

the question is: why do YOU have such issues while the others dont have?

its wrong to assume the those people speaking up here may be the majority of users - but the opposite is fact. and each problem has its unique reason, some may similar, but never the same.

there exist a bunch of steps to get a solution, not all are helpful, but at least they lead to a conclusion and in most cases it open eyes for the concerned user.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems

if a fresh profile wont help, in most cases its something from the system, an antivirus, another security software, unpleasant driver. i am running several (older and younger) machines with firefox and dont have issues.
Markone

Post by Markone »

For now it seem that disabling all legacy addons does most good or even solves the problem, I thought I tried this already (maybe I didn't do a restart, though there was no prompt to do it). I hope it lasts! But inability to use Adblock plus is a problem by itself.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But inability to use Adblock plus is a problem by itself.
AdBlock Plus has been problematic since before version 56 and the usual recommendation is to switch to UBlock Origin as a replacement.
Markone

Post by Markone »

Just to report, disabling legacy addons didn't solve the problem even if does help a little. After prolonged use everything slows down and becomes laggy. Maybe it has something to do with memory use, because it gets worse as more memory is used. Is 4 GB now too little to use this browser effectively? I have used Firefox for ages and would hate to start using Chrome until I get a new machine. The annoying thing is that it was the new updates that broke it for me. For security reasons I also wouldn't want to use the older versions.
allande

Post by allande »

For some users, disabling e10 (multiprocess use) in Firefox will improve responsiveness. For others, forcing multiprocess to turn on would help. You could try either if you like, but instead I suggest just trying again in 3 weeks or so when Firefox 57 is out. 57 changes a LOT of things and may be better, and if not you can try experiments then.
Here is how to force enable multiprocess if you do want to: https://fossbytes.com/how-to-make-firef ... -manually/

For informational purposes, you can go to about:support and look for where it says "multiprocess windows" to see if in your case it is on or off.
therube

Post by therube »

why do YOU have such issues while the others dont have?
Maybe others don't push their browser.
2 GB RAM or 3 GB is not an issue for me.
But once I hit 4 GB RAM (which I seem to be able to do more frequently & easier these days), FF does become laggy - for me.

x64 FF 56, 16 GB RAM
Nothing special done or not done to the Profile.
Just at some point FF starts running like crap.
(Pretty sure I have e10s disabled, as disabling it alleviated, somewhat [an issue that I don't remember what it was?])
(Pretty sure I have e10s disabled, as disabling it alleviated, somewhat [an issue that I don't remember what it was?])
Oh wait, e10s are disabled because I have Legacy extensions installed, so e10s are simply a no-go for me.
It is Hardware Acceleration that I set to disabled as that was causing issues on my end.
(Probably should revert that change & test, since 56.0.2 came out.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

therube wrote:(Probably should revert that change & test, since 56.0.2 came out.)
Especially if you have an Intel gui and are running Windows 7, 64-bit. (Bug 1409141)

Also, as allande stated, in less than 3 weeks version 57 will roll into the Release Channel and it has a lot of changes. Besides being faster, one of the changes that many users will notice is no more running of LEGACY extensions so, if you have any, it may be worth while looking for WebExtensions ("Compatible with Firefox 57+") updates or replacements now rather than going panic mode on November 14. (Spreadsheet of some potential replacements)
c627627

Post by c627627 »

If you are sure this is not related to anything else in your profile, then ideally try Fx57 Beta just to see if the problem goes away and if Fx57 kills your extensions and you have no working replacements compatible with Fx57 then the ultimate solution until mid 2018 is to switch to Firerox ESR now, rather than in two weeks when that'll be the only Firefox option for old extensions.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
noka2017

Post by noka2017 »

Hello
i also noticed a large change on response time, high CPE usage, High RAM usage , since i have upgraded to 56.
and Brummelchen, your feedback is non relevant. Sole purpose of this forum is to send our own bottle to the sea , to check if other experience the same issue, and find out solution.

Even without addon the 56 release is very very slow. not acceptable interaction level, with mouse, and keyboard.
did someone have same, or found a solution other than downgrading?

BR
Nicolas
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not seeing many reports of that sort of performance drop with version 56. Have you tried Safe Mode or a new Profile to rule out problems caused by legacy extensions?
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

noisy?
instead pointless arguing to me (which i dont care) you should have read the informations behind the link i gave.
although firefox has some issues from time to time it is not as bad you and others always pronounce.
get your candy...

@therube - firefox never took more than 1,5-2gigs of ram, even when i had >120 tabs open, half of them with videos. its getting a bit laggy but not critical. from time to time i rape my browser this way round :D
nothing - not even a dent, either firefox, its profile or Windows
therube

Post by therube »

(In my case, 44 windows, 960 tabs, & on opening from Session Restore, I'm using ~2 GB RAM. https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 716#p90716. Haven't had the opportunity yet to see how/if 56.0.2 differs.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

therube wrote:(In my case, 44 windows, 960 tabs,
Tell me you are joking :!:

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
therube

Post by therube »

I am trying to whittle it down to something more manageable.