Do people have problems with Firefox since the 56 update?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

Re: Do people have problems with Firefox since the 56 update

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW - FF55 and FF56 work just fine with 28 extensions (FF55) and 12 extensions (FF56) with no lags with ten or so tabs open. I have been running 57 since Nightly and now with beta and after a few userCheome.css tweaks am VERY happy. Currently have 7 Webextensions with two more to be added once they are ported. The only lag issue I see is on Google maps (full version) which is likely do to my 7 year old graphics card.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
c627627

Post by c627627 »

If we are talking non-widespread abnormalities, I see display-related problems on Fx56 rather than memory related problems, but we are just two weeks away from the seismic event unlike any other in Firefox history, so it's hard to see justification in spending time on searching for a Fx56 fix when in two weeks, we will either move to a faster Firefox 57 without old extensions or move to Firefox ESR and keep old extensions. Both Fx57 (Beta) and ESR have latest security patches so in that sense, neither is a downgrade from Fx56.

So **if** you are having problems, consider making the jump to Fx57 (Beta) or Fx ESR two weeks early as the quickest solution...
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
therube

Post by therube »

it's hard to see justification in spending time on searching for a Fx56 fix
Precisely.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
pihlaja

Post by pihlaja »

I've been experiencing the same issue since the 56.0.2: Firefox opens slowly, keeps loading stuff for ages, and frequently becomes unresponsive. I'm running Win8.1 64-bit, and have also quite a bunch of tabs open (1 window, approximately 300 tabs). It generally eats 80-85% of the memory (8 GB RAM in total), bringing it to 90-100% in total all of the time. Also CPU usage seems a bit high.
pihlaja

Post by pihlaja »

FYI: For me the cause of the issue seems to be F-Secure's Browsing Protection. Disabling that lead to normal behaviour from Firefox.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

thank you for feedback.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I'm having so many problems with FF I just installed Chrome.
With FF I have deleted EVERYTHING on my computer that I could find that had anything to do with FF.
Cleaned up everything rebooted and installed a clean, new up to date FF. Got 3 extensions and whammo!
Slow, unresponsive, it has crashed 3 times this morning and I'm fed up.
I don't see how a fresh install can be so slow and crashy! I like FF but it's too unreliable.
It's Not New and It's Not Order
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Breeze wrote: I like FF but it's too unreliable.
Haven't seen reports to that other than a couple. If the issue was as big as you say, we would be flooded with such reports. Since I'm on MAC and not WIN however I did note this
Breeze wrote:Got 3 extensions and whammo!
When trying to solve a problem it is better to start with zero extensions and watch, add one and watch, ....

The issue may be an extension.

Also, will need a WIN person to make sure you actually removed all relevant files.

FWIW - FF is rock solid for me, my wife and my two kids on different machines, both MAC and WIN.

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Cleaned up everything rebooted and installed a clean, new up to date FF. Got 3 extensions and whammo!
And there was your mistake. You should be testing the new installation of Firefox with the new profile before adding a single extension. Otherwise you can't tell which problems are coming from the program itself (probably none) and which are from the installed extensions. That's why the guidance from this forum always calls for testing with an unmodified profile before adding any extensions.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Dan, I just said that. :wink:

lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I'd like to know how TheRube multitasks 960 tabs and 44 windows ;-) but that would be off-topic.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
pihlaja

Post by pihlaja »

pihlaja wrote:FYI: For me the cause of the issue seems to be F-Secure's Browsing Protection. Disabling that lead to normal behaviour from Firefox.
I actually learned later on, that this might be due to F-Secure updating their add-on to support Firefox 57 version (that update was pushed on Nov 1st, based on the knowledge I received). Don't know what they messed up in between though to make it unusable with the previous version.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

RobertJ wrote:.

Dan, I just said that. :wink:

Our posts crossed "in the mail". Great minds, and all that. :mrgreen:
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Okay, I hate to hijack a thread but I'm assuming you'll all move my post if needed.
When I said I installed 3 extensions and whammo....I was summing up what I'd done.
I DID follow the instructions for when FF crashes and if you're having problems. I DID
run in safe mode.
I DID create a new profile, imported my bookmarks and that's it. I didn't think my
importing bookmarks would cause a problem.
I had no extensions, it still hanged and crashed so I figured it's never gonna work right
so I installed a few more extensions.
It just gets worse and worse.
Yesterday I went to the Amazon website to print a return label from them and FF
crashed 3 times When I say crashed I mean it gave me an error and then closed itself.
I went to IE and it worked fine and I was able to print the label.
Now...do you think me running Windows 7 has anything to do with it? I really don't know why
FF won't run right.
I just looked at my Raw Data and it shows no crashes. I had 3 yesterday morning.
I've tried the Refresh Feature.
I've done what I know to do from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/produ ... x-problems
I've used the Profile Manager to create a new profile...What next?
"Make Use Of" Says Chrome being #1 most secure mainstream browser with IE next then FF with only 12% users and it's going down. Almost 60% of users use Chrome. If you believe "Make Use Of."
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/most-secur ... m-browser/
I truly like FF but I'm truly getting fed up also.
Last edited by Breeze on November 5th, 2017, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's Not New and It's Not Order
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Mozilla Crash Reporter
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... sh-reports
The Mozilla Crash Reporter dialog box appears when Firefox closes unexpectedly and lets you submit a crash report to developers, to make future Firefox versions crash less often. This article describes how it works and shows you how to access your crash reports.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p