Firefox 57 Slow and Laggy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
High_Iron

Re: Firefox 57 Slow and Laggy

Post by High_Iron »

greshoff wrote:This issue is not to do with speed of the browser but more to do with the delay in the mouse & keyboard commands
What happened to Firefox after the update yesterday (11-16-17)? It is excruciatingly slow. Everything seems to be at least 4 or 5 times as slow, especially when typing in text. Accessing Outlook through Firefox seems to be at least 10 times as slow. It's basically unusable. I had to access this forum through my Maxthon browser. If I had tried using Firefox, what I typed here would have taken at least 4 or 5 minutes. If this Firefox speed issue is not rectified pronto, I will have to use Maxthon or Chrome.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Shaki, Mazin, greshoff and High Iron, I'm not seeing any of the lag you are (or anything remotely like it) and you haven't reported what security software you are running on your systems. Often when updating Firefox, the security software does recognize the update a the same program that was previously authorized to access the Internet. Have you made sure that the anti-virus and firewall you are using (if you are) show Firefox 57 as an authorized program?
Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode to eliminate conflict with any installed extensions? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

As I mentioned earlier I am using Windows Defender. Yes tried in safe made and results are the same. I will reinstall FF57 tomorrow and check firewall in Defender
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry, greshoff, I included you in that list by mistake. I did see your previous post regarding Defender.
High_Iron

Post by High_Iron »

Thanks DanRaisch. I'll give that a try this weekend. I did a restore on my PC to get back to Firefox 56. I'm using Maxthon until I can experiment around with it and check out the things you mentioned. I should have mentioned my PC's specifics:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz
RAM 7.87 GB
Dual core 64-bit OS
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Just reinstalled FF57 and checked Defender firewall settings and FF is in list of trusted applications. FF57 still remains very slow to respond to mouse & keyboard commands.Reverted to FF56 as it is still unusable
High_Iron

Post by High_Iron »

greshoff wrote:Just reinstalled FF57 and checked Defender firewall settings and FF is in list of trusted applications. FF57 still remains very slow to respond to mouse & keyboard commands.Reverted to FF56 as it is still unusable
Just checked my Norton Security, and Firefox is marked as "Allow". I got Firefox 56 back, but my PC updated again to this garbage Firefox 57. Text typing is the pits. It registers a few keystrokes, and then it stops registering for about 12 to 15 seconds, and then everything you typed in is scrolled into the field all at once. It's asinine. At least once, it seemed to lose keystrokes, and created a sentence meaning something totally different from what I intended. Firefox 56 was working even better than before. I had previously been toying with the idea of going to Maxthon or Chrome, because Firefox 56 would get slower and slower and s-l-o-w-e-r and s--l--o--w--e--r until I just couldn't stand it anymore. Firefox 57 is bad all the time. Going back to Maxthon. I can't take this anymore.
High_Iron

Post by High_Iron »

Well, I brought up Firefox in Safe Mode. It may just be my imagination, but it seems even slower than normal mode. Everything is a slow motion pain. Screens mount slowly. I'm presently accessing the forum from Maxthon browser, as Firefox 57 is unusable. Biggest piece of junk software to come down the pike in I don't know how many years.

One other thing going wrong is I had to make three attempts to sign into the Forums, even though I'm positive I used the right username and password. On the third attempt, the fields filled in with text by themselves, and signed me on without any clicking from me. What the hell is going on with this site? This is like one of those SNL skits that's not the least bit funny.
pcdoctor01

Post by pcdoctor01 »

Found this on an Intel forum.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/119580
I'm using Firefox ESR so I haven't used 57 on my machine.
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Thanks I used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant which identified that the graphics driver was out of date. I updated this but unfortunately the issue remains
aps

Post by aps »

Same problem. Keyboard and mouse response. Logitech wireless mouse/KB. Works fine with Thunderbird, Edge, Notepad etc but terrible with Firefox 57. Using Dell XP. McAfee.

Seems to note and store all mouse and keyboard activity then play it out slowly.
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Seems this issue is affecting a number of people now, hopefully this will be looked at by the developers
pcdoctor01

Post by pcdoctor01 »

Again, I'm using the Firefox ESR.
Here's what I suggest:
Put the following down if you are using 57.
This way folks can see everyone's specs whether they are having issues or not.
This is not my setup but an example of what folks should put down at the beginning of their post if using 57.
Probably the the three important things to really put down: OS, video driver and bios

Example:
Firefox 57 64 bit
Add ons none or disabled
Video driver: Intel 4000
Video driver: version ?
BIOS: A14
Ram: 8gb
CPU: Intel Core i5
Hard drive or SSD: Hard drive
Computer Make: Dell
Model: Latitude e5420
Chipset: Mobile Intel HM65 Express
I can't think of anything else to put down.

Since someone on the Intel forum has issues with 57 and an Intel 4000 graphics driver and using the standard video driver works, maybe Mozilla needs to modify some code or maybe some about:config command can be changed.
Last edited by pcdoctor01 on November 18th, 2017, 4:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Thanks, I posted my specs earlier on
aps

Post by aps »

Firefox 57 64
Add ons disabled
OS Windows 10 1703 64 bit
Video driver NVIDIA GEForce GTX 645 NVIDIA driver
12GB