Firefox 57 Slow and Laggy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tengat

Re: Firefox 57 Slow and Laggy

Post by tengat »

I had same problem until I found this solution:
enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named accessibility.force_disabled. double-click it, change its value to 1 and restart firefox once.
I did this and now all is well.
therube

Post by therube »

(i5-3570K, Intel 4000, ...4653 driver version. Not seeing issues on my end. Oh, Win7, not Win10.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

High_Iron wrote:Just checked my Norton Security, and Firefox is marked as "Allow". I got Firefox 56 back, but my PC updated again to this garbage Firefox 57. Text typing is the pits.
Try closing Firefox, removing reference to Firefox from Norton (cough, cough) Security, and then rebooting before relaunching Firefox. If that fixes things it would not be the first time that Norton messed up in recognizing a new browser version as actually authorized, despite listing it as "Allowed".
aps

Post by aps »

Tengat's solution appears to work for me. Many thanks.
stasplayer

Post by stasplayer »

Tengat's solution appears to work for me also. Thanks
(Who was that masked man? :-) )
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

tengat wrote:I had same problem until I found this solution:
enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named accessibility.force_disabled. double-click it, change its value to 1 and restart firefox once.
Many thanks Tengat - doing this has so far worked for me as well. It is early days But so far so good
shaki

Post by shaki »

"I had same problem until I found this solution:
I did this and now all is well."

Tengat you are a genius that worked!!!! Do you work for Mozilla or just unusually smart?
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Well after using FF57 a little more the amendment suggested by Tengat appears to have to resolved the issue. I am unsure exactly what making this change does and would be interested to know however I am very grateful to Tengat for the suggestion as it has made FF57 usable. Thank you
brf

Post by brf »

Also getting pretty heinous lag with Firefox 57 on a pretty regular basis. Haven't figured out exactly what the trigger is yet. Also haven't tried disabling the accessibility thing, was hoping to find a good way to reproduce the problem first. Win10, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti with latest drivers.

BTW, only happens on Windows. Firefox 57 on Linux has never done this to me yet, and I've put in far more time with it on Linux to begin with.
boysim34

Post by boysim34 »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tengat fantastic seems to be working for me here, thanks . just one question . do you have to do this everytime you open firefox or will it remember the changed setting

thanks again Tengat
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

FF57 seems to remember the setting as far as I can tell
Gman2k8

Post by Gman2k8 »

Thank you Tengat for the the Slow and Laggy Fix. I have made a note of this for future reference. I am currently running FF Version 55 due to both the Laggy issue that started in the later version of 56, was corrected in 57 Beta release when using the Legacy plugins and then returned on the 57 release version, and the fact that LastPass, NoScript, and FVD Speed Dial are currently not compatible with FF 57 Quantum. When I see that these three plugins work again with the latest version of FireFox, I will try upgrading again. Until then I am staying with the latest known stable version for me that works with these plugins.
tengat

Post by tengat »

Thanks for the kudos guys, I'm glad it helped you.
FYI, I'm an old retired guy in Florida with more time than money. I researched this problem until I found this solution on another support panel site.
I have no idea what it does, except solve the problem.
Happy Turkey Day to all of you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When I see that these three plugins work again with the latest version of FireFox,
If they ever do. Some old extension may never be replaced because they won't be supported by the required API in the core.
mczin

Post by mczin »

Thank you Tengat for posting this. It solved the problem for me too.