FF57 increase bookmark text size? [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jrrjbl

FF57 increase bookmark text size? [Mac.]

Post by jrrjbl »

I have looked everywhere with no luck. Went to preferences and and tried, nothing seemed to help. Running imac with 10.13.1.

Any suggestion, would also like to increase address line as well
Last edited by LIMPET235 on November 16th, 2017, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Mac] to the title.
Gingerbread Man

Re: FF57 increase bookmark text size? [Mac.]

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Add this to your userChrome.css file, then restart Firefox. Replace the size with something else if you like. It will increase the text size everywhere in the UI except the title bar (and on Mac OS, the menu bar).

Code: Select all

* { font-size: 14pt !important; }
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Gingerbread

Thanks but a bit lost on this suggested process.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

1. Enter about:support into the location bar.
  2. Click the Open Folder button.
  3. In the file manager window that opens, create a new folder called chrome Make sure you get the spelling right and note that the name is case-sensitive.
  4. Launch a plain text editor. Note that TextEdit on a Mac will edit in rich text by default; apparently you only need to open the Format menu and choose Make Plain Text. Paste the following:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
    /* ^ The above line needs to be there. You can delete this line though. */

/* Below this is where you put CSS code that alters the user interface, like the one I posted at the top */
    * { font-size: 14pt !important; }
  5. Save the file to your desktop as userChrome.css Again, be sure to spell it correctly and note that the file name is case-sensitive.
  6. Move the file from the desktop into the chrome folder you created earlier.
  7. Exit then restart Firefox for the change to take effect.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

To increase the text size on the bookmark toolbar without increasing all text use this in userChrome.css

#personal-bookmarks .bookmark-item {
      font-size: 14pt !important; 
}

Set the size to whatever you want if 14pt is too large.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Folks I really appreciate the help offerings. However, it is simply beyond my comfort level at this point. I will learn to squint and go forward.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

We can try this one step at a time.

First, with FF not running go to folder

/Users/<your_acct>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<random>.default

Post back when you find it.

jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Robert Thanks

However, I am now fried and have no intention of screwing up any more. I do like the look and performance is great on 57. Frankly if it gets to me I will just use Safari. I also will wait until maybe a fix comes on a next iteration of FF. It is obviously an issue given the threads, but again I can function as is, sort of .
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

You had a bigger chance of issues when you updated to 10.13 than going slowly to increase the font size of the bookmarks toolbar text. However, if you change your mind post back in this thread.

Did you find the folder I noted above?

jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

No and frankly as an old neophyte, If it doesn't come obviously I have done enough damage in the past. Now having said that, I got my first computer in 1983. I really appreciate the help offer though
hch

Post by hch »

Gingerbread Man (and others) ... thank you so much for the detailed instructions.

I have Firefox looking exactly as I want it. Well done.
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Latest status. Created the file finally as indicated. Think I followed all steps correctly. AND lost all bookmarks. So after fighting for years moving to Safari I am now in Safari unless they is some recovery process.

Ok off the cliff. Got them back. Other than rearranging them again, the biggest issue is remembering/finding where I hide it, my password for Mozilla.
Enough fun for a Sat, I will live with the way it looks. Or until either FF gets a simple plug and play, or my eyes give out and I just go to Safari
up2youtwo

Post by up2youtwo »

RobertJ wrote:.
We can try this one step at a time.

First, with FF not running go to folder

/Users/<your_acct>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<random>.default

Post back when you find it.

Hi RobertJ

I would really like to consider doing, as I would suspect a load of others.
What is holding us back is a lack of confidence that we don't screw things up.
Might it be possible to run through all of the back ups we can do first, copy and save the Firefox Profile, Restore Point extra.
Then a line by line detailed account that we can print and slowly go through please.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

up2youtwo, this is a Mac thread. I don't want to give detailed instructions for WIN since I'm not sure what the directory structure looks like.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

up2youtwo wrote:I would really like to consider doing, as I would suspect a load of others.
What is holding us back is a lack of confidence that we don't screw things up.
Might it be possible to run through all of the back ups we can do first, copy and save the Firefox Profile, Restore Point extra.
Then a line by line detailed account that we can print and slowly go through please.
Firefox Menu > Help > Troubleshooting Info > Open Folder Containing (wording can vary) - what comes up is the contents of your profile. Exit Firefox. Copy all of those files and folders and paste them somewhere safe. You're done.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)