How do you go back to the version before Quantum

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
firebrand3

How do you go back to the version before Quantum

Post by firebrand3 »

I noticed that my FF is updated to Quantum. But an addon is not working, so I need to go back. How can I do this?
8-bit

Re: How do you go back to the version before Quantum

Post by 8-bit »

firebrand3 wrote:I noticed that my FF is updated to Quantum. But an addon is not working, so I need to go back. How can I do this?
If you don't have a backup of your V56 profile, then you have to go nuclear on a Mac. DO NOT SET SOFTWARE OF ANY KIND TO AUTO-UPDATE IN THE BACKGROUND - You never know what it's going to do. Read the release notes BEFORE upgrading ANY piece of software on your system.

If you need to go nuclear then do this:

[0] Open your current version of Firefox and export your bookmarks and any add-ons that will let you export settings to the Desktop
[1] Download the latest stable release to your Desktop (V56 or V52ESR - ESR can be found here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/all/ )
NOTE: The ESR version will run fine and get all security updates until mid 2018, it may be a good option for you
[2] Go into the Applications folder and move Firefox.app to the Trash
[3] Go to ~/Library/Application Support/ and move BOTH the Firefox folder AND the Mozilla folder to the trash
[4] Go to ~/Library/Caches/ and move BOTH the Firefox folder AND the Mozilla folder to the trash
[5] Go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and move org.mozilla.firefox.plist to the Trash
Everything on your Mac related to Firefox is now in the Trash. ***** DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH UNTIL EVERYTHING IS RUNNING WELL *****
[6] Open the latest stable release .dmg on your Desktop (from step 1) and install Firefox as directed.
[7] Open Firefox, set your prefs, reinstall all add-ons and re-import your bookmarks from the Desktop.
[8] Re-set all your prefs for all your add-ons. (unless they can be imported from step 0
[9] All your favicons will be toast - you will have to reload all bookmarks 50-100 at a time (or however you want) to get them back.

It takes a while, but you CAN do it.
firebrand3

Post by firebrand3 »

It was auto-updated. How do you turn that off after going nuclear on this?
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

firebrand3 wrote:It was auto-updated. How do you turn that off after going nuclear on this?
Firefox > Preferences > General - Scroll down to the Firefox Updates section and turn off auto-updating. Choose to either be notified (and let YOU decide when to do so), or no notification whatsoever. I also have the automatically update search engines turned off as well, but that's your call....
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

8-bit wrote:
firebrand3 wrote:It was auto-updated. How do you turn that off after going nuclear on this?
Firefox > Preferences > General - Scroll down to the Firefox Updates section and turn off auto-updating. Choose to either be notified (and let YOU decide when to do so), or no notification whatsoever. I also have the automatically update search engines turned off as well, but that's your call....
Using that preference is known to produce an unexpected outcome. The notification window can end up behind the main browser window all too easily, and Firefox will wait only a minute or so for the user to respond to the notification the update; and then will download the update without user input.

Best to use Never check for updates ...

Another thing than can be done is to null the value of app.update.url in about:config .
No URL for Firefox updates and there's no way a connection can be made to check for the availability of an update.

And on Windows computers disable the Mozilla Maintenance Service.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... ce-service

Mozilla can trigger an update at will, although they don't use that feature of MMS more then once or twice a year, at the most.

Yep, I have experienced a number of "WTF just happened, I thought that I turned that off. HTH did an update get downloaded?" moments over the years since the auto updater "feature" started with Firefox 3.0 .
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

@edmeister - thanks for the info. Much appreciated

@firebrand3 - Just set your option to Never check for updates, and then check this site every time you log on (only takes a second to do so):

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

You'll be able to see all releases, both point and major...
firebrand3

Post by firebrand3 »

NOTE: The ESR version will run fine and get all security updates until mid 2018, it may be a good option for you
Does this mean that after mid 2018 everyone is forced to use Quantum?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

no, you wont be forced, but responsible users will do the upgrade. you probably wont get help any longer on outdated versions, not here. or you change browser.
James

Post by James »

The ESR version being Firefox 52 ESR as 52.9.0esr out on June 26 is the last planned update for 52 ESR as next major version ESR will be based on Firefox 60.0 out on May 9th,