FF57 - how to get rid of tabs?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
v_iourine

FF57 - how to get rid of tabs?

Post by v_iourine »

I'm using FF since ver.1.0 (switching to it right from the original NN). Once upon a time it was a very comfortable browser. Then some "creative deisgner" introduced the tabs. Ok, I switched them off in the settings. A few versions later, the setting was hidden from the UI. Ok, I set whatever I wanted in about:config. In a few more versions, these entries were disabled. Ok, I had to install the add-ons, at least, to hide the tab once it is the only one, and to edit the pop-up menu to put "Open in a new window" first. Now, since FF57, these old add-ons stopped working, and the replacement ones are not written yet. How to restore the lost functionality ? (Not to mention numerous other things lost over the years.)

Please could the FF developers explain me their dedication to forcing me to use the browser in the way which _they_ like and not in the way which _I_ got used to? The basic phylosophic principle for any activity is not to create extra entities without a definite need for them - and that is exactly what they do. I completely loose my way among multiple tabs in multiple windows on multiple desktops. I do not understand the need for this hierarchy, I need only a flat set of entities, namely, the windows. Only a single tab per window, and a single dektop for everything.

At the moment, I switch to ESR release but I'm warned, of course, that it is only a temporal relief. Why does my user experience become a permanent fighting against FF developers for features that I need and against the innovations they put onto me without my need and wish? If they are still hoping to make me accept their way, the result will be right the opposite: finally I'll have to switch to another browser.
LIMPET235

Re: FF57 - how to get rid of tabs?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Well, for one, you won't get any response from a "Developer" here, as "they" never/hardly ever come here.

Please reference the bottom of the RHS column. -------------------------------->>>

It seems as though "they" have "their own agenda" & are sticking to it....come what may!
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jrawle

Post by jrawle »

Is the method in this thread any help?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3035293
v_iourine

Post by v_iourine »

Thnx, jrawle. It does not work. The Tab Tally icon and the tab header do disappear, yet an empty panel appears instead, with only the "+" sign in it - to oblige me to add more tabs.

Looks very much like the old anecdote from the USSR times: a man turns on the TV on Channel No.1 and there is Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev making a speech there. The man switches to Channel No.2, and there is the Assembly of the Communist Party of the USSR. Next, he switches to Channel No.3, and there is Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev making a speech at the Assembly of the Communist Party. Finally, he switches to Channel No.4, and there is a person from KGB saying: "I see you are switching channels. You'd better stop doing this."
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This is a SUPPORT forum not the complaint department. We will try to help with problems; we DO NOT TAKE COMPLAINTS!

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
James

Post by James »

If only the https://landfill.bugzilla.org/complaints/ site was still up.

Piro and extension author from Japan was about the only one to create an extension that killed tabs called "Tab Killer' but he has not updated it for 10 1/2 years.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Placing this in userChrome.css

Code: Select all

#tabbrowser-tabs {
  display: none !important;
}
gets rid of the tabs. It may require some margin tweaks. I'm not sure if this is what the OP was looking for.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

v_iourine wrote:At the moment, I switch to ESR release but I'm warned, of course, that it is only a temporal relief. Why does my user experience become a permanent fighting against FF developers for features that I need and against the innovations they put onto me without my need and wish? If they are still hoping to make me accept their way, the result will be right the opposite: finally I'll have to switch to another browser.
I mean no ill will when I say this, but the developers of Firefox do not answer to your own personal desires or wishes. They are making a browser for MILLIONS of people all around the world. If they do not keep up with innovation and new web technologies, they will stagnate and die. They cannot cater to every wish from every user. Firefox 57 is a crucial step in keeping it alive. It's been a battle since day one. Web technologies change/move fast - Firefox needs to stay on top of it. They cannot live in the past. That is not to say that I don't have disagreement with some of the direction changes they are making, but I am not the centre of the universe, so I work with it. Plus what would I do without NoScript!?! - a WebEx version will be released very soon. I will stay on ESR until NoScript is unveiled, then all my extensions will be WebEx. I only use 4 extensions which are all security/privacy related. I can understand that losing your favorite extensions may be a bite, but that's the way it goes - no stopping it.

Also, I run macOS, and there is no way I'm using that awful piece of junk called Safari - absolute ZERO control. It's heinous! Oh wait! they just introduced a new feature to stop videos from auto-playing on websites and act like they invented it. Maybe I will use it - NOT!

You are a free moral agent, and can choose any browser you wish - that is your decision to make. Again, I am not talking down to you. This is just food for thought.
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

menubar > Help >Submit feedback
v_iourine

Post by v_iourine »

Hmmm... on another attempt, after applying some obscure magic, the solution referred to by jrawle
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14776954
did work. Now, does anyone know the way to rearrange the pop-up menu, to hide the "Open in a new tab" or at least move in down the list? Without the Menu Edit add-on.
Last edited by v_iourine on November 18th, 2017, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v_iourine

Post by v_iourine »

8-bit wrote:I mean no ill will when I say this, but the developers of Firefox do not answer to your own personal desires or wishes. They are making a browser for MILLIONS of people all around the world. If they do not keep up with innovation and new web technologies, they will stagnate and die. They cannot cater to every wish from every user. Firefox 57 is a crucial step in keeping it alive. It's been a battle since day one. Web technologies change/move fast - Firefox needs to stay on top of it. They cannot live in the past.
I mean that the direction which includes forced disruption of something what works perfectly - functionality, user habits, etc. - is definitely the wrong one. Never can it lead to the top - it is the shortest way directly to grave. Rather than inventing the least usable UI to replace the working one, they shoud better apply their effors, e.g., to memory consumption. But this is a hard work, I know... redrawing windows is much easier and more spectaculous...
Luna C

Post by Luna C »

add this to userchrome to hide open in new tab

/* Open Link in New Tab */
#context-openlinkintab
{
}
Wizard_Magic_Spell

Post by Wizard_Magic_Spell »

Thanks, everybody, for the info on how to minimise the amount of tabs on display, to hiding them. Appreciated.
v_iourine

Post by v_iourine »

Luna C wrote:add this to userchrome to hide open in new tab

/* Open Link in New Tab */
#context-openlinkintab
{
}

Thanks, Luna C, it does work.