Save File to Now Obsolete

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wiggam72

Save File to Now Obsolete

Post by Wiggam72 »

I had the add-on Save File to installed until v57 rendered it obsolete. It was a good program that allowed an image to be sent to a location of your choice by right-clicking on the image. The replacement Save In (that isn't exactly the same) has one fatal flaw that basically renders it useless unless I can input a Symlink.

In the Add-ons Manager the program says: The WebExtension API only allows saving in directories relative to the default directory download. Symlinks/junctions can be used to get around this limitation. <all_urls> permission is used to get around CORS on HTTP HEAD requests (to check for Content-Disposition headers). Configure before use.

The problem is that I've read and watched a tutorial but wasn't able to successfully even make a Symlink, much less know where to put it. Does anyone know how to make the Symlink save an image to a external hard drive as I had it before v57?

Please post the exact syntax and exactly where to enter it into Save to. The Add-ons Manager for Save to has two boxes (one above the other) for entering information.
the-edmeister

Re: Save File to Now Obsolete

Post by the-edmeister »

Read the instructions here:
https://github.com/gyng/save-in/

Which is linked under More information > Support Site on that extension's download page at AMO.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-in/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Thanks for the links. After further research, it appears that why I wasn't able to create a symlink was because I want to send/save the files to/into a external hard, not a FOLDER within the external hard drive. Example: I want the file to go the A drive, not a folder within A drive. It appears that a symlink cannot be created using only a drive letter. I could be wrong, but I say this because every tutorial I've watched shows a folder being created in the destination drive.

So, for now, I'll just manually move the files from the Downloads folder to the external hard drive. It isn't too difficult since I have a dock program (Winstep Xtreme) that allows a file to be moved to a drive or folder by simply dragging the file into a drive or folder (icon) that resides on the dock that the user places there.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

In the Add-ons Manager the program says: The WebExtension API only allows saving in directories relative to the default directory download.
elemental!

symlinks need this code in a batch:

mklink /D "foldername_without drive" "targetfolder"

eg
mklink /D "WinAmp" "E:\WinAmp"
("winamp" is located in %appdata%)

the batch hast to put in the parent folder (in example %appdata%) and result is %appdata%\winamp redirects to e:\winamp
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

It appears that you're verifying my suspicion that there is no way for a symlink to point to just the drive. To use your example, it cannot be mklink /D "WinAmp" "E:\"

It can only work by putting in a file in a folder. Is that correct?

The way Save File to worked is that you browsed to the drive or folder you wanted the file to reside and set it. From then on you use the cursor to send it to either the default location that the user set via the right-click context menu which also gave the option to navigate to another location.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i dont know - what i know is that root folders should contain NO files

technet
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194(v=ws.11).aspx
(link corrected)

symlinks are interpreted by operating system, but some programs can deny such redirections.
appdata\roaming>dir

11.11.2011 11:11 <SYMLINKD> WinAmp [E:\WinAmp]
you should NOT try that with system folders - like \downloads for current user (firefox default folder for downloads)
Last edited by Brummelchen on November 19th, 2017, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Okay thanks. This is not as straightforward as it appears. Using a symlink has it's limitations. I can only hope that the developer can find a way to make Save to functions like Save File to did without having to use symlinks.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

for security reason you should not put some hope in this wish.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Oh wow!!! :shock: I'm totally stunned and surprised by this!! Why? What difference does it make if it can only be saved to Downloads vs anywhere the users chooses, and using a symlink to place a file in the folder they choose?

Please explain. This is a very interesting revelation for me.
therube

Post by therube »

Guessing the "party line" will be "security".
But that's total BS.
Only thing I can think is $$ & even that :shakes head in bewilderment, confusion: ?
(And then Mozilla even breaks their own rules - so that they can include "screenshot" in FF.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript