Firefox Browswer Error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sonnie

Firefox Browswer Error

Post by Sonnie »

One of our Win7 Pro 64-bit (16GB RAM) computers here at work is popping up the following error when starting FF, and we can get FF to load...

The instruction at 0x3f3e945e referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

We have restarted the computer, updated, uninstalled and reinstalled FF, as well as run a memory check on the computer.

Nothing has fixed it thus far.

We can use IE, Chrome, Postbox and a dozen other programs with zero issues, but FF doesn't want to cooperate.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sonnie
Gingerbread Man

Re: Firefox Browswer Error

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Any difference when you try to start Firefox in Safe Mode?
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/troubles ... -safe-mode

Any errors found if you launch an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow ?

Are you by any chance running Symantec security software?
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

It does the same thing is Safe Mode.

Refreshed FF and no help.

Kaspersky is disabled... no help.

No errors with the sfc /scannow.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

The instruction at 0x3f3e945e referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
if that is a bluescreen message go for a windows forum please.

for firefox - we need the links to the crash report (last 3 if possible)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... sh-reports
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

It's not a blue screen... it's a small dialog box that pops up and can be dismissed, but FF hangs and does not access the Internet. I can access Options (Add-ons, Themes, Extensions, etc).

I would not consider this a crash... as FF does not stop working completely... it just hangs. For a long time we could simply dismiss the dialog box and continue working, but every time we opened a new tab the dialog box would pop-up again. Now it just hangs trying to load a page. I will check tomorrow when I am back at the shop to see if there are any crash reports, but I don't think there will be.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Sonnie wrote: The instruction at 0x3f3e945e referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
It's not surprising that Firefox would hang when trying to access memory reserved for the OS i.e. 0x00000000. Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP) will automatically block any application attempting to read or write to that location.

It could be an indication of virus activity and would be wise to check if that's the case by downloading the free version of Malwarebytes and then running a full scan: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

You can also disable DEP temporarily for Firefox to test whether the error still occurs afterwards via Windows Control Panel | System | Advanced System Settings | Advanced and then in the Performance menu at the top, click the Settings button and then click the Data Execution Prevention tab. Checkmark the radio button underneath the default one at the top and then click Add and navigate to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and add firefox.exe to the list (actually a blank box since there shouldn't be anything else in there).
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Reflective wrote:You can also disable DEP temporarily for Firefox
If I recall correctly, the default setting is "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only".
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

open C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ and look into subfolders if there is a folder which contains "firefox".
look for a DMP file (dump), zip it and upload it where we can access it.

which antivirus is installed?
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

Thanks ... I will try these suggestions.

Kaspersky is the antivirus program.