Consensus on 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
terrypin

Consensus on 57?

Post by terrypin »

What's the considered consensus by experienced users of the latest version that I'm being prompted to install please? I'm hesitating after seeing several comments about its impact in add-ons (I have lots) and various other issues.

And if I try it and want to revert to 56.0.2 (64-bit), how easy is that?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre
LIMPET235

Re: Consensus on 57?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Terry,
Why not try Firefox Portable & see what all the fuss is about?
> https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

If you do update, then back-up your Profile beforehand...JIC.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks LIMPET235. But if I do try it I'd want to do so on my desktop PC, with bookmarks, extensions etc, not on my iPad.

(I backup my profile nightly and weekly.)

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But if I do try it I'd want to do so on my desktop PC, with bookmarks, extensions etc, not on my iPad.
Firefox Portable is not for the iPad. It's just a repackaged version of the Windows Firefox that doesn't require installation under Windows. You can install it on a flash drive and run it from there, or on your hard drive but with it's own profile which could be a separate copy of your current profile.
therube

Post by therube »

What's the considered consensus by experienced users
Yes.
Disclaimer: I am inexperienced. And immature.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks all, I'll proceed - carefully.

@LIMPET235, @DanRaisch: Are you also running 57, like @therube ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes, I made a copy of my regular profile as a backup, just in case, but have been happy with 57. Did have to make some tweaks and compromises to get it to work the way I want without some legacy extensions.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

DanRaisch wrote:Yes, I made a copy of my regular profile as a backup, just in case, but have been happy with 57. Did have to make some tweaks and compromises to get it to work the way I want without some legacy extensions.
I, too believe that 57 is an awesome upgrade to Firefox. I, as, well, have made some tweaks to it, but those are just minor. Firefox is by far the very best browser, out there. 8-)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW - I have been running 57 since Nightly then Beta and now release for a total of about 15+ weeks. Currently have 8 Webextensions with two more to be added once they are ported. I personally have no need for any more extensions. After a few userCheome.css tweaks am VERY happy.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I started using 57 when it came out as beta to see how it was. I've found replacements for the bulk of my extensions and userChrome.css tweaks to make it look like it did before. Have 22 enabled extensions and 2 that I enable when I need them. My config is here: http://www.markheadrick.com/firefox/firefox_config.php

When 57 went to release I backed up my primary profile and then did a "refresh" on it and set it up. Since I had been using 57 beta (in its own profile), I exported the settings of the extensions that let me do so and then imported them.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

terrypin wrote:What's the considered consensus by experienced users of the latest version that I'm being prompted to install please?
I was using Firefox Nightly starting just a week or so before Nightly became 57, and if you think the pickings for WebExtensions replacements can be challenging now, you should have tried last August when WebExtensions extensions were few and far between. ](*,)

Since then, I have found WebExtensions versions or WebExtensions replacements for all the extensions I used to use. =D> The first WebExtesions extension I started to use was uBlock Origin, which became available a short time after Nightly was branded 57. Now I have nine WebExtensions that I am using in Nightly as my regular browser. (I still have Release installed, and the Release version is the official "default browser" on this, my Windows 7 system, even though I fire up Nightly for normal browsing.)

Generally, if the extensions deal with the content, there is a high probability of finding an acceptable WebExtensions alternative if the extension itself hasn't been updated to WebExtensions. And tab management has a fair chance (but hiding the tab bar on top won't be available in v. 57, so you may have both the tab bar and a tab side bar if you try one of the tab management extensions until the tab bar management APIs land).

But if the extension is session-related (keeping session history) and UI-changing extensions, you may be out of luck, though some UI-related extensions might be reproducible by other means (e. g., chrome\userChrome.css) or there may be lesser-pwered extensions.

I think the idea of trying a "portable" install is a good idea to see what it will look like. Even searching for WebExtensions equivalent of your current LEGACY extensions (those labeled with a yellow LEGACY label in add-ons -> Extensions) will give you a head start.

Overall, I love the new Firefox, but then I was weaned off of customizing the UI when I switched to Chrome due to performance reasons, but, like a prodigal son, I am back. :D
rjbinney

Post by rjbinney »

I can't stand the new Firefox! AND I find it nigh impossible to retrograde to 56 and stay there.

Clearly others' mileage varies.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.
Kim: What's wrong with it?
Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

I started using Firefox 57 mid-way through beta using a new profile, I had my old profile for many years and opted for a clean install. I only have 6 add-ons installed, and they cover nearly everything I did with earlier versions. I used to have Tab Mix Plus installed and don't miss it, the only feature I used it for that I can not do with Firefox 57 is select tabs by hovering over them.

I do very minimal customizations from the default set-up, I know some complain about the GUI but it does not bother me at all.

I like Quantum and would not want to go back.
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/posting.p ... &t=3035561

I am very pleased with the new Firefox. I did a lot of work to get the css scripts for this. I await the new extensions that will come and replace most of the old.
eelton

Post by eelton »

The suggestion to use Firefox Portable to try it out is a good one. I did, and liked 57 more than I thought I would. It's noticeably faster. So, I ended up updating my primary installation to 57.

I do miss some add-ons (Tab Groups and Tab Mix Plus in particular), but Tree Style Tabs works reasonably well to organize my many open tabs.