Address Bar Icons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CaJazzman

Address Bar Icons

Post by CaJazzman »

So, before all of the icons on my address bar used of text along with the icon. But, since 57, just the icon. Might there be a way to have the text along with the icon? Thanks a bunch! 8-)
Gingerbread Man

Re: Address Bar Icons

Post by Gingerbread Man »

The author of Classic Theme Restorer has his own userChrome.css repository. Add the code from toolbar_mode_icons_and_text.css to your userChrome.css and remember to restart Firefox.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on November 23rd, 2017, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

I would like to make sure the address box shows each website's favicon. This used to be possible using Classic Theme Restorer, but I don't know if it is still possible with FF57+.

Is there a way to do this with .css code? If it is, I think it would be best positioned closest to the text of the website URL address, after the round information icon and the padlock.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Surely you mean the navigation toolbar, right? If so, add this to your userChrome.css if you want the labels to show next to the icons. I can't get them to show underneath the icons instead.

Code: Select all

#nav-bar .toolbarbutton-text { display: block !important; }
So, I used this code, and it made the favicons bleed into the search bar, because the text is next to the icon, but, I thought, why not move the search bar up to the menu bar, which I have, and now Firefox has a much better look and feel, now, with the favicons with text like the old classic restorer did. Now I do wish I could add another toolbar, so, I could move things around easier, and not be crowded, or hidden, but those that are hidden, are under the extension arrow at the end. 8-)
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Surely you mean the navigation toolbar, right? If so, add this to your userChrome.css if you want the labels to show next to the icons. I can't get them to show underneath the icons instead.

Code: Select all

#nav-bar .toolbarbutton-text { display: block !important; }
Gingerbread Man, I'm now wondering if this code would also work for the menu bar, as replacing the nav-bar .toolbutton-text, with menu-bar .toolbarbutton-text? I'm asking because when I tried to move the favicon to the menu bar, only the icon showed up and not the text. Just curious! 8-)

edit: So, I tried my idea of moving the favicons up to the menu bar and still having them with text, but, when I tried, menu-bar .toolbarbutton-text added, I still got just the icon. Maybe, someone else whom is good with coding, can figure it out, and maybe also figure how to add another toolbar. 8-)
Gingerbread Man

CaJazzman wrote:So, I used this code, and it made the favicons bleed into the search bar […]
I'm now wondering if this code would also work for the menu bar […]
The author of Classic Theme Restorer has his own userChrome.css repository. Replace the code I posted with the code from toolbar_mode_icons_and_text.css. It displays the text properly below the icon, plus it works on the menu bar as well.
Ed1 wrote:I would like to make sure the address box shows each website's favicon. […] Is there a way to do this with .css code?
I see no way to accomplish that with userChrome.css. I also don't see an add-on that does this. Though I have seen add-ons that insert a Reload and (RSS feed) Subscribe button into the address bar, so a favicon add-on should be possible.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
CaJazzman wrote:So, I used this code, and it made the favicons bleed into the search bar […]
I'm now wondering if this code would also work for the menu bar […]
The author of Classic Theme Restorer has his own userChrome.css repository. Replace the code I posted with the code from toolbar_mode_icons_and_text.css. It displays the text properly below the icon, plus it works on the menu bar as well.
Ed1 wrote:I would like to make sure the address box shows each website's favicon. […] Is there a way to do this with .css code?
I see no way to accomplish that with userChrome.css. I also don't see an add-on that does this. Though I have seen add-ons that insert a Reload and (RSS feed) Subscribe button into the address bar, so a favicon add-on should be possible.
You can add the favicon but just not with the text. 8-)
hch

Post by hch »

"The author of Classic Theme Restorer has his own userChrome.css repository. Replace the code I posted with the code from toolbar_mode_icons_and_text.css. It displays the text properly below the icon, plus it works on the menu bar as well."

I tried this code and it almost works except that Back is several pixels lower than all the other text.

Anyone else have this problem? The actual code I find too complex to fully understand.
Gingerbread Man

hch wrote:I tried this code and it almost works except that Back is several pixels lower than all the other text.
It looks normal to me, with the default theme and default toolbar setup:

There does seem to be some additional text shadow on the Back button when using a different theme. So it's either that or maybe another one of your styles is interfering. The author of the style might know more.
hch

Post by hch »

GM, I found the problem. Under Customize, I had the Density set to Normal. I changed that to Compact and all is good.

Thank you for replying.