userChrome.css Size

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Richard1296

userChrome.css Size

Post by Richard1296 »

Is there a limit to the size of the userChrome.css file.
I've got FF57 looking and working to perfection...there just doesn't see to
be anything I need to customize due to all the help found here. I hope
future releases of FF don't undo anything.
But I wondered, can userChrome get too large.

Richard
the-edmeister

Re: userChrome.css Size

Post by the-edmeister »

I have seen no mention of a maximum size for a userChrome.css file, and I have been using userChrome in Firefox for almost 14 years now; along with userContent,css and user.js - the triad of optional "user" files.

As far as Mozilla "undoing anything" goes - IMO of too much outrage is directed towards Mozilla from the "whiners" in the "community" that "requiring" users to employ a userChrome.css file to allow then to do the level of modification as in the past which could be done via an extension reaches the "breaking point" in Feedback or in Bugzilla reports - Mozilla could decide to eliminate userChrome.css as an avenue for user customization.

Make your requests for help with CSS in this fora or over at Reddit - but not at the official Mozilla / Firefox support website - SUMO .
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Richard1296 wrote:Is there a limit to the size of the userChrome.css file.
Not really. Rather than file size, a bigger concern is accumulating outdated styles that end up affecting the UI in unexpected ways in newer versions. If userChrome.css/userContent.css have become too unwieldly to edit, you can move styles to a separate stylesheet and use an @import rule at the top of the file, e.g.

Code: Select all

@import url("interface/no_tab_bar_with_one_tab.css");
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
Richard1296 wrote:I hope future releases of FF don't undo anything.
Considering this UI overhaul came in version 57, and the one prior in 29, and before that 4, I wouldn't worry about drastic changes for a while to come.
therube

Post by therube »

(I'm all for optimism, but I fail to see how Mozilla will allow userChrome.css to persist.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gingerbread Man

therube wrote:(I'm all for optimism, but I fail to see how Mozilla will allow userChrome.css to persist.)
Grumbling from corporate users maybe.
I don't see why they'd remove it; I'm not aware of any undue maintenance burden on their part. I see no bug report filed on it. And then some proposed changes that do have bug reports haven't materialized, like removing "Work Offline", removing the profile manager, removing the version from the About box — Ha! Remember that one?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

therube wrote:(I'm all for optimism, but I fail to see how Mozilla will allow userChrome.css to persist.)
userContent.css is still around, too.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Gingerbread Man wrote: Grumbling from corporate users maybe.
I don't see why they'd remove it; I'm not aware of any undue maintenance burden on their part. I see no bug report filed on it. And then some proposed changes that do have bug reports haven't materialized, like removing "Work Offline", removing the profile manager, removing the version from the About box — Ha! Remember that one?
What about removing the profile manager?
Or any new Bug filed, like in this decade?

Not like I use the Profile Manager for anything. Create new Profile by command line and don't keep more than the Default Profile in App Data. I have a dozen or so in a remote folder and launch them by command line.
Gingerbread Man

the-edmeister wrote:What about removing the profile manager?
Or any new Bug filed, like in this decade?
Bug 214675 is still open. As you may recall, the plan was to keep it around until the release of the standalone profile manager application. That piece of software was last updated October 27, 2015 and MDN lists it as "obsolete and no longer being maintained". So, I don't worry about the profile manager disappearing any time soon.

I'll be quiet about unrelated features now. I don't want to veer this thread off-topic completely.