Whats a Good Add-on for Finding Words?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
killz

Whats a Good Add-on for Finding Words?

Post by killz »

Whats a good add-on for finding specific words in webpages? Need one with powerful features.
DanRaisch

Re: Whats a Good Add-on for Finding Words?

Post by DanRaisch »

What features, beyond those available using Ctrl+F in Firefox?
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

Too bad it is not as inclusive as the pre 57 versions.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

killz wrote:Whats a good add-on for finding specific words in webpages? Need one with powerful features.
Findbar Tweak was quite nice because of the highlighting of multiple hits. Would be nice if it gets updated or if there's a similar alternative.
killz

Post by killz »

DanRaisch wrote:What features, beyond those available using Ctrl+F in Firefox?
Features like those in Findbar Tweak. Do let me know of a few. Thanks.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:Findbar Tweak was quite nice because of the highlighting of multiple hits.
Is that any different from typing about:config on the address bar, agreeing that you would be careful, then searching for and changing the preference findbar.highlightAll to True?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Features like those in Findbar Tweak. Do let me know of a few.
Hard to offer any input on the subject when I've never used that extension to know what it's supposed to do.
killz

Post by killz »

Mark12547 wrote:
Kevin McFarlane wrote:Findbar Tweak was quite nice because of the highlighting of multiple hits.
Is that any different from typing about:config on the address bar, agreeing that you would be careful, then searching for and changing the preference findbar.highlightAll to True?
Very good observation. Whats the CSS code for changing the background color of the text field in the find bar function?
Last edited by killz on November 21st, 2017, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

F3, and you don't need an extension.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

@Mark12547 Thanks! I used to love findbar tweak. I kind of miss it. In addition to highlighting, it let you use the regular findbar when you type to search instead of the crippled quickfind bar. I never understood why there's 2 different findbars? Why can't the regular findbar just be used regardless of how you initiate a find? Also it allowed you to toggle the findbar with command/ctrl-f... if anyone has any solutions to those two problems then you just made my day.
Kevin McFarlane

Mark12547 wrote:
Ah, I didn't know about that. I've just set it. Is there a good list somewhere of useful things you can set in about:config?

Findbar Tweak does have other features, although tbh I didn't use them.
Kevin McFarlane

Negativeions wrote:I never understood why there's 2 different findbars? Why can't the regular findbar just be used regardless of how you initiate a find?
My thoughts too.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Mark12547 wrote: Is that any different from typing about:config on the address bar, agreeing that you would be careful, then searching for and changing the preference findbar.highlightAll to True?
That about:config tweak isn't necessary even since all the OP has to do is to type a word or phrase in the default search bar (Ctrl+F or F3) and then click the "Highlight All" button which is located to the right of the search field.

There are other default options as well such as matching case for example which is useful when searching for links to NET Framework updates on sites. Using both "Hightlight All" and "Match Case" buttons eliminates highlighting "net" in the word "Internet" as well.
Kevin McFarlane

That's true but unless I want refinement then typing / and immediately typing my search term is quicker and I don't have to reach for the mouse. It's a convenience. It's rather like, for example, the keyboard shortcut extension for paste and go that I use. It's not necessary but I find it more convenient than right-click paste and go or first pasting and then pressing Return. Though I still use those depending on context, e.g., whether I already happen to be in "mouse mode."
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

I have been using the findbar.highlightAll feature in about:config for over a year, but I forget how to change the highlighted color away from the default magenta. I should have wrote that down before upgrading to Firefox Quantum.