Whats a Good Add-on for Finding Words?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
killz

Re: Whats a Good Add-on for Finding Words?

Post by killz »

Heres the problem:

I type in a word and it highlights several of them on the page. I then left click anywhere on the page to get rid of the find function. I can press F3 to select through each of the highlighted words. But the issue is when I left click to get rid of the highlights they dont go away. Is there a code to get rid of all these highlighted words by left clicking on the mouse after you get rid of the find function?
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Kevin McFarlane wrote:That's true but unless I want refinement then typing / and immediately typing my search term is quicker and I don't have to reach for the mouse. It's a convenience. It's rather like, for example, the keyboard shortcut extension for paste and go that I use. It's not necessary but I find it more convenient than right-click paste and go or first pasting and then pressing Return. Though I still use those depending on context, e.g., whether I already happen to be in "mouse mode."
Ctrl+F type your word or phrase and then Tab three times + Enter. No mouse necessary. ;)
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

killz wrote:Heres the problem:

I type in a word and it highlights several of them on the page. I then left click anywhere on the page to get rid of the find function. I can press F3 to select through each of the highlighted words. But the issue is when I left click to get rid of the highlights they dont go away. Is there a code to get rid of all these highlighted words by left clicking on the mouse after you get rid of the find function?
I'm using Basilisk browser these days which is based on Firefox 55 and will support all legacy extensions indefinitely.

So maybe consider installing it yourself. It creates its own directory and therefore there's no need to uninstall whichever version of Firefox you're using now. http://www.basilisk-browser.org/

The GUI is exactly the same for all menus which you had in FF55.

The only thing it can't do is to import your Firefox profile which means you'll have to install all your extensions including Findbar Tweak manually. So make a backup of your bookmarks in HTML format first.

If you want to install Classic Theme Restorer download the 1.7.3.2beta1 which addresses an issue with the location bar in Basilisk.

I'm very happy with it. It's both stable and fast and accepted 21 extensions without a blink. There are plans to allow Basilisk to use WebExtensions as well in the near future, but this aspect is still in development stage.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Reflective wrote:
Kevin McFarlane wrote:That's true but unless I want refinement then typing / and immediately typing my search term is quicker and I don't have to reach for the mouse. It's a convenience. It's rather like, for example, the keyboard shortcut extension for paste and go that I use. It's not necessary but I find it more convenient than right-click paste and go or first pasting and then pressing Return. Though I still use those depending on context, e.g., whether I already happen to be in "mouse mode."
Ctrl+F type your word or phrase and then Tab three times + Enter. No mouse necessary. ;)
Not for first case (my mistake), but / is still quicker. But have to use Ctrl+F if I want to match case. But 99% of the time I don't.

Anyway, the highlighting was the only thing I wanted and, as I've learnt from this thread, I don't need an extension for that. Not sure about the OP.
Kevin McFarlane

Reflective wrote: I'm using Basilisk browser these days which is based on Firefox 55 and will support all legacy extensions indefinitely.
So what's the difference between that and Pale Moon? It's not clear from the site.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So what's the difference between that and Pale Moon? It's not clear from the site.
And this is not the correct place for a discussion of that subject. Take it to Third Party Builds if you want to explorer that question.
Kevin McFarlane

Ah, right, so that's where all that stuff is. I'd not noticed before as I'd not been curious about alternatives until now. Thanks.
killz

Post by killz »

Reflective wrote:
Kevin McFarlane wrote:
Pressing Tab 3 times then Enter only navigates to links on the page and takes me to it. It doesnt get rid of highlighted words through mouse clicks. Any suggestions on doing this through the mouse?