weird save-as action. [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
learjet

weird save-as action. [Linux.]

Post by learjet »

My problem is not version specific. It's been happening for a long time, so I decided to see if anyone here can help me.

When I right-click on an image and navigate to a directory I want to save it to, then hit enter, the filename, in the save window, changes to some other image filename within that directory. This will overwrite the original image file with the new file.

The filename shouldn't change.

This doesn't happen if there are no other files in that directory.

Does anyone have ANY ideas why this is happening and maybe how to fix it?

Thanks
Last edited by LIMPET235 on November 23rd, 2017, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Linux] to the title.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: weird save-as action

Post by malliz »

Are you asking about Firefox or Seamonkey?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
learjet

Post by learjet »

Firefox. I thought I was in the Firefox Support Forum. Was I wrong?

Seamonkey works fine.
learjet

Post by learjet »

BTW, this only happens the first time I open Firefox and try to save into a directory that already has files in it. The next time I try to save a file into that directory, it works perfectly.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Does this happen in Safe Mode?
Does this happen in a brand new profile?
learjet

Post by learjet »

Same behavior in safe mode and with a new profile.

I'm running Kubuntu 14.04, but it's been doing this for several years with earlier versions of Kubuntu.
learjet

Post by learjet »

I have an update.

When I try to save a new image file, the file that it picks to replace the actual filename that I want to save is always the same file regardless of it's name.

I changed the filename in Konqueror, but kept it in the same order. The 'save' dialog changed the 'save' filename to the new filename, which is the same image with a new filename.

I changed the filename in Konqueror, which changed the order of the file and it STILL replace the 'save' filename to the changed file.

So, no matter what I change the filename to, the 'save' dialog changes the 'save' name to the same file, with different names.

What is so special about that one image file and why is the 'save' dialog window picking that particular file to use to change the filename that I'm trying to save?

I've spent hours searching in about:config for any clues, but failed to find anything.

I finally deleted that file. The 'save' dialog now picks another file in that directory to change the filename to. The file I deleted was number 63 in Konqueror list. The new file it now picks is number 69. The two files had completely different save and modify dates.

How is it deciding which file to choose to change the 'save' filename to?

I restored the deleted file. It now shows up as number 20 in the 'save' dialog window. In Konqueror, it is number 55 now and the 'save' dialog still picks that filename to replace the filename in the 'save' dialog window.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

learjet wrote:BTW, this only happens the first time I open Firefox and try to save into a directory that already has files in it. The next time I try to save a file into that directory, it works perfectly.
Any given folder, or only a specific one?

If you don't find a solution here, also try Mozilla Support.
elist74

Re: weird save-as action. [Linux.]

Post by elist74 »

If you set firefox (preferences - general - files and applications -- Downloads) to save the file(s) on a particular folder (me is set to Desktop) does it work correctly?

edits: I also try When i choose my folder, and it's OK ...
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I run into this all the time, it seems to be Linux specific.
When you go to save a file in a directory other than Downloads it sometimes will pick the name of the last file opened in that directory if it's the same file-type.
You have to sometimes cut and paste the actual file name or retype the filename.
Sometimes when retyping the filename it may also pick up on a similar character beginning.
Usually I run into this when using an imaging program not with Firefox.
Might have something to do with either the file picker or prefetching, best guess is it's prefetching.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
elist74

Post by elist74 »

Grumpus wrote:I run into this all the time, it seems to be Linux specific.
BTW my linux is xubuntu 16lts
When i save images it's seem to be fine with me (the good files name).
elist74

Post by elist74 »

Hi I see "learjet" and "Grumpus" having Linux x86_64 , I got Linux i686 is it possible it's a bug between Linux x86_64 and Firefox ?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It seems to me it's got to do with the file picker.
Try this and see what happens.
Go into about:config
Find this item: ui.allow_platform_file_picker -some are set to true by default but you could try false and see if it changes.
If it doesn't work you can always toggle it back to true.
I usually don't have any issue with Firefox, it's usually platform packages like image editors when saving a local file.
I doubt if it's any real bug since you should be paying attention to what you're doing.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
elist74

Post by elist74 »

For testing, i try ui.allow_platform_file_picker to false
"Save as" are good, but the save window is different.

I reset it to true, the save window is Ok (the "save as" are also good) :-)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

learjet wrote:This doesn't happen if there are no other files in that directory.
This indicates to me it's a system thing and not Firefox as stated related to prefetch.
It may also change system program to program, perhaps learjet could try changing the file picker.
Also I would think Dolphin might be used instead of Konqueror which can double as a browser and may be part of the confusion.