Bookmarks Not Syncing Properly

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jeakmc

Bookmarks Not Syncing Properly

Post by jeakmc »

Latest Firefox on my Mac and latest Firefox app on iPhone and iPad and all connected to the same Firefox accounts and can sync.

But, when syncing only some of the bookmarks come through

How to get all to sync

Thanks
smsmith

Re: Bookmarks Not Syncing Properly

Post by smsmith »

On each device, open the sync settings and make sure that Bookmarks is enabled. In your mobile devices, your desktop bookmarks will shop in a "Desktop Bookmarks" folder. And on your desktop, the mobile bookmarks are in a "Mobile Bookmarks" folder.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Are the iOS devices coming up short?
IOW, do all your bookmarks sync to a desktop / laptop device?
And the iOS "mobile" devices don't get all the bookmarks from a desktop / laptop device?

And do the iPhone and iPad get the same bookmarks?
Or does the iPhone get fewer?
If so, that could be due to storage capacity of data on the various device types.

I recall reading something about differences with desktop and "mobile" in a Bug report back in 2015 as Firefox for iOS was in Beta testing. The Bug was with regards to mods being done to Sync services for iOS, which also included changes to the Firefox for Android builds & Sync; where "mobile" devices wouldn't receive the same amount of bookmarks as the "desktop" devices would get. The gist of that Bug was concerns over issues some users had with Android devices with data storage capacity.
Mozilla documentation in their support articles is weak to nonexistent for Sync and the MDN documents are intended for developers and are difficult for non-developers types to "attach all the strings"; IOW, piecemeal information per pieces of code and no block diagrams to "connect" all the code pieces. Way over my head for understanding the manner in which it is laid out.
MDN = https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jeakmc

Post by jeakmc »

I discovered from the show all bookmarks that the mobile bookmark was empty.

I copied from the Mac bookmarks to the mobile bookmark file and it worked

Not sure if I add bookmarks the mobile folder will update or not