MozillaZine

Bookmarks disappeared in Quantum!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mitcon

Post Posted November 27th, 2017, 4:28 pm

All:

My PDF problem has mysteriously gone away but now all of my bookmarks are gone! A red banner comes across the screen with the message:

"The bookmarks and history system will not be functional because one of Firefox's files is in use by another application. Some security software can cause this problem".

I have already tried the Mozilla suggestions of:

Shutting down the laptop N/C
Renaming the places.sqlite to places.sqlite.old N/C
Restoring the bookmarks from several backups displays an error dialog box saying it cannot process the backup files.
Refreshing FF says it was successful then displays the red banner with the error message.

I am using Window$ Defender on Window$ 10 with the firewall turned off (since I have a CISCO/Linksys hardware router).

How can I determine if another program is using places.sqlite??? I don't know what it would be and why restarting wouldn't release the lock on the places.sqlite file.

I have LOVED FF for well over a decade...not ready to give up yet...but am disappointed with the current release!

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

TheVisitor

Post Posted November 27th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Renaming places.sqlite probably is the cause for loss of your bookmarks. Bookmarks are store there.

Not sure if renaming it back will recover them or not.
Its very likely none of the backups work because they are maybe linked to the places.sqlite you renamed ( don't know this for sure)

LoveMyFoxy

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 1:47 am

Are you using the program Ccleaner?
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64-bit, 6GB RAM /FF 52ESR 64/ Thunderbird 52 / MS Sec. Essent./ Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

the-edmeister

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 2:26 am

TheVisitor wrote:Renaming places.sqlite probably is the cause for loss of your bookmarks.

When that is done by the user, Firefox will create a new places.sqlite file on the next launch of Firefox and use the most recent bookmarks backup file for the new places.sqlite file. Those backups are created automatically as Firefox is being closed each time (but only keep the last of each day) and there are 15 "dated" backup files saved, one for each of the last 2 weeks plus the current day.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Brummelchen

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 10:59 am

How can I determine if another program is using places.sqlite?

probably an antivirus going wild, not the first time.
you can check this while starting windows in safe-mode -> msconfig.exe > start > safe-mode + network

you check out firefox portable (portableapps.com) if this happen too.

therube

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

mitcon

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 3:09 pm

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Are you using the program Ccleaner?

nope...

mitcon

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Brummelchen wrote:
How can I determine if another program is using places.sqlite?

probably an antivirus going wild, not the first time.
you can check this while starting windows in safe-mode -> msconfig.exe > start > safe-mode + network

you check out firefox portable (portableapps.com) if this happen too.

Not quite sure of your notation for safemode...
What is portableapps.com? Never heard of it!

Brummelchen

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 7:52 am

solutions exist to be used and not to be discussed.
we can not help if you dare.

allande

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 8:21 am

Portableapps.com is the site that distributes Firefox Portable. Portable software is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application Firefox portable is here: https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
If a virus or antivirus program blocks normal Firefox, running Firefox Portable may still work. Firefox Portable won't start off containing your bookmarks. To get your bookmarks into Firefox portable you would have to import or restore them from a backup file from your old firefox, or copy the places.sqlite file into the right area of Firefox Portable's folder.

When the above safe mode was mentioned, it was referring to Windows Safe Mode + Networking, which is different from Firefox Safe Mode. Main goal of windows safe mode is to bypass / prevent from running from that boot your antivirus software to see as a test if things work better.

Two last links - some people believe that most or all antivirus software except for Microsoft's leaves the computer not very functional (sluggish or with incompatibilities) and possibly open to more security holes than if the antivirus software was not installed:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... icrosofts/
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... rcher.html

Brummelchen

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 8:35 am

we do not believe - we know by experience ;)
windows defender is not perfect, but in the past it had none or only few impacts in windows itself in comparison with other antivirus. and its the very less intrusive program - no plugins, no extensions. the core components are valid, but vendors should stop distributing its crap for browsers. i have not seen any firefox updates which was not blown from extension from kaspersky or norton. each firefox update voices about this crap are rising.

thx for the links and explanation. i had hope he would open portableapps.com voluntary but this was destroyed. same for windows safe-mode
https://support.eset.com/kb2268/?locale=en_US
https://www.lifewire.com/safe-mode-2626018

when firefox 57 rised i read several people having fuzz with profile data - caused by kaspersky, gdata, avast, avira, also in this forum.
several buggy cleaners like ccleaner again cleared \storage\ folder.

therube

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 11:00 am

Oh, my link about should have point to this particular post, viewtopic.php?p=14780536#p14780536.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

mitcon

Post Posted January 3rd, 2018, 4:46 pm

I finally got back to this problem on the Win10 laptop...out of necessity. I got things working, with your help. Whoever pointed me in the direction of this potentially being an antivirus issue was the savior! Here's what I did:

1. Tried Re-installing FF from scratch (with Defender active). Nothing changed...
2. Installed AVG which disabled Defender.
3. Copied the Bookmarks Backups folder (from my FF profile) to my desktop.
4. Uninstalled FF then deleted the Mozilla folder in my APP DATA/roaming profiles folder (this forced the FF install NOT to use the previous profile).
5. Installed FF which now did a totally clean install - The message about not being able to use FF Bookmarks went away! The Bookmarks were the default ones from the install.
6. Imported my bookmarks from the backup folder on my desktop - oila! ALL my bookmarks are back!

EVERYTHING is great in my world, thanks guys (and gals). The new version of FF has grown on me...have ALWAYS been a big FF supporter!

I guess this thread can be tagged as solved and closed.

Mitch

Return to Firefox Support