Google Maps Street View spinning in FF 57

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Google Maps Street View spinning in FF 57

Post by FrankSMS »

I wasn't using Firefox until 57 but I'm noticing that Google Maps Street View starts spinning when you use the left or right arrow keys. It can't be stopped. Anybody else notice this? You also can't drag or double click on a street to change position. In Chrome it works fine.
DanRaisch

Re: Google Maps Street View spinning in FF 57

Post by DanRaisch »

Not seeing that here. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Also see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Have no non-default theme(s) loaded right now. I had some YouTube downloaders but no other extensions. Disabled them - still spins.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Are you using Google Lite or the full Maps?

Also try disabling Hardware Acceleration under Preferences > General > Performance.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

How do you tell the difference between Lite and full maps? I'm on maps.google.com and maps.google.ca and both exhibit the exact same behavior.

Can further suggestions only be made only by people that have actually experienced this problem and have successfully solved this problem? There's a lot of people that make suggestions and they are pure guesswork. This just wastes our time. I realize they're being made with good intentions....but please refrain here. Thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Can further suggestions only be made only by people that have actually experienced this problem and have successfully solved this problem?
Surely, as long as you'll be happy with the possibility of receiving no additional responses to this thread. As yours is the first report of such a problem with Firefox 57 it's quite possible that a) no one else has had the issue or b) anyone who has had the problem doesn't visit these forums to respond to your posts.

And you haven't reported on the results of testing in Safe Mode or with a new profile.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

moz2u wrote:How do you tell the difference between Lite and full maps?
Since you don't know the difference between Lite and Full Maps (they are different settings at maps.google.com) I assume you ....
moz2u wrote:Can further suggestions only be made only by people that have actually experienced this problem
There are numerous issues with Google maps (at maps.google.com) that I have seen depending on the settings; however, since you are such an a** I will not waste any time with you.

FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

DanRaisch wrote:
Can further suggestions only be made only by people that have actually experienced this problem and have successfully solved this problem?
Surely, as long as you'll be happy with the possibility of receiving no additional responses to this thread. As yours is the first report of such a problem with Firefox 57 it's quite possible that a) no one else has had the issue or b) anyone who has had the problem doesn't visit these forums to respond to your posts.

And you haven't reported on the results of testing in Safe Mode or with a new profile.
I really don't see the point. This seems to be deflecting from what is probably the cause: Some interaction between Google Maps and Firefox. This is a common problem easily found online. And it doesn't seem like anybody has solved it. Other than switching to Chrome which is not ideal if one prefers the flexibility of Firefox. I have no add-ons right now. Everything has been disabled. I restarted in Safe Mode. Guess what. Same thing. What a surprise.
therube

Post by therube »

I wouldn't call it a surprise.

Anyhow, as a test, create a new, clean Profile, & load your map.
Does it work?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

moz2u wrote:This is a common problem easily found online. And it doesn't seem like anybody has solved it.
I solved it for my son; however, IWBACDIHBITY. :-"

FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Created a new profile.
Restarted in that profile.
Sorry to say, its exactly the same.
How to replicate: Drag the Street View image to put focus on the screen then use your left/right arrow keys to start the spinning scenario.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Dragging isn't necessary for me. Just left click on the larger, right side image and the arrow keys are functional for changing the view.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

moz2u wrote:Created a new profile.
Restarted in that profile.
Sorry to say, its exactly the same.
How to replicate: Drag the Street View image to put focus on the screen then use your left/right arrow keys to start the spinning scenario.
Couldn't replicate. Releasing the arrow key/s stops the spinning. I take it if you press the esc/escape key on your keyboard, it doesn't stop the spinning?

You might want to test to see if you have this problem with Google Lite Maps -- SEE: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8314936 ... force=lite (This explains what it is -- https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... ktop&hl=en )

If it works okay, it may be a hardware related issue, such as an older graphics driver that's not compatible.

Also, if you haven't tried it, check to make sure "Use Hardware Acceleration" is unchecked on the General Tab of your Firefox Options page. Hardware acceleration caused a lot of issues for me when I had it checked.

OF
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

> I take it if you press the esc/escape key on your keyboard, it doesn't stop the spinning?

Nope.

Lite mode worked! Also its WAY faster. I love it! But why oh why wouldn't Google just have a Lite option clearly labeled? How do you activate it normally without using an URL? When I'm in Lite mode I see the Lightning icon but its gone when I'm in normal mode. Unbelievable. They hide it. This is one of the most useful features in Google Maps.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

moz2u wrote:> I take it if you press the esc/escape key on your keyboard, it doesn't stop the spinning?

Nope.

Lite mode worked! Also its WAY faster. I love it! But why oh why wouldn't Google just have a Lite option clearly labeled? How do you activate it normally without using an URL? When I'm in Lite mode I see the Lightning icon but its gone when I'm in normal mode. Unbelievable. They hide it. This is one of the most useful features in Google Maps.

I'm glad Lite mode worked for you. You're right, there's no obvious jump on the maps page. When I Google an address, and click on a map, it displays in the regular Google Maps. To "convert" it to Lite Mode, I have to do the extra step of adding the following string after the last character of the URL displayed in the map's address bar:

?force=lite

Hitting the enter key will force the page I'm viewing to display in Lite mode...

...so that, for intance

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+Ve ... 6c60d9e145" will be converted to

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+Ve ... force=lite

Hope this helps.

Ortho_Fan