57+ how to close Firefox to minimize?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cocute

Post by cocute »

Thanks
CaJazzman

Re: 57+ how to close Firefox to minimize?

Post by CaJazzman »

cocute wrote:57+ how to close Firefox to minimize?

Thanks
I'm hoping for an option as well. 8-)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure what you mean by that. The usual Windows buttons (dash, open box, and X) are there to minimize, restore, or close the window. Are you asking about something else?
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

DanRaisch wrote:Not sure what you mean by that. The usual Windows buttons (dash, open box, and X) are there to minimize, restore, or close the window. Are you asking about something else?
I, believe what is the issue, is the old addon, MinimizeToTray (MinTrayR). But, we know so far, it was a legacy extention, and so far not a webextention. 8-)
cocute

Post by cocute »

Exist many addons for this but not wirks un 57+
Same this
https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/a ... and-close/

I need if i push X to close minimize Firefox.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

At this time there doesn't seem to be any extension that will provide that functionality.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Try this, used it for years and minimises most Windows to System Tray:

RBTray
RBTray Portable

Just launch RBTray. Once it is launched it stays running in the background until such times as you explicitly tell it to shut-down. Now whenever you right-click on the Firefox 57.0 minimise button the FF window will go to the System Tray. To open the FF window again just left-click on the FF icon in the System Tray. To shut-down RBTray after it has been initially launched, just launch RBTray again and you will get the option to shut it down. Alternatively, to shut-down RBTray if you already have some windows minimised in the System Tray via RBTray, right-click on one of those System Tray icons and select "Exit RBTray". For whatever method you use to shut-down RBTray it will put all windows that were minimised by RBTray back to the Desktop, and then RBTray will exit.

RBTray doesn't work with all windows but where it fails it is usually because the offending program has been coded in some non-standard way that defeats RBTray - i.e. not RBTray's fault. For example, my Thunderbird can't be minimised via RBTray, and, if memory serves me right, previous versions of FF defeated RBTray. But RBTray works fine with FF 57.0.
Last edited by BuddhaNature on November 29th, 2017, 6:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

As I said in many threads, it is early days for 57+. Give it time, give developers time {Again, thanks Aris for your codes} NoScript caught up last week and now I have no reason to migrate, at least for the workstations. The PVRs which still run XPPro, will be another set of headaches, but K- Meleon looks like a good candidate, only two passwords need to be migrated and those are for the TV listings. The big thing will be once ATSC 3.0 comes out, I imagine new hardware, like PC cards, will not support XP or even W7, if its post-2020. The PVRs automatically installed the ESR fork, which will shut down next summer, so I'm still on a deadline , of sorts. I take that to mean now that Firefox no longer supports XP.

BuddhaNature...you posted while I was posting a response to Dan....CURSE MY ARTHRITIC FINGERS!!!! :-X
Last edited by Mudder on November 29th, 2017, 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Windows key + M will minimize FF and Windows key + Shift + M will maximize it again.
therube

Post by therube »

Win+M minimizes all windows, does not put anything into the tray, if that is what the OP is wanting.

Oh, & speaking of that, I've used (Nirsoft's) WinLister utility to hide windows (some, all, a few, mix & match) [but it also does not put things into the system tray].
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
cocute

Post by cocute »

any news for Minimize On Close with Firefox +57?
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

BuddhaNature .... I can't get RBTray to work with FF58.

Works a treat with Internet Explorer but there's no way I 'm going to use that as my default browser over yummy Firefox.

Could you perhaps let me know if it is me or it fails for everyone with FF58 please?
Mud is good!
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Hi madmudmob. I just tested it with my FF 58 and it is working fine for me. Make sure you are right-clicking on the 'Minimise' button, not on the 'Close' button (just in case you're making that mistake).
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Thankyou. I downloaded the program and found the file ... ran the 64bit RBTray application but I didn't do anything with the RBTHook.dll as I haven't a clue .... is that where I've gone wrong please?
Mud is good!
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I have no idea. I am using RBTray v4.3 from PortableApps: RBTray Portable. I would download that and give it a try. Remember to exit whatever version of RBTray you currently have running before launching the portable version. Beyond that I can't suggest anything else. (Certainly I wouldn't have any clue as to trying to mess around with a dll file - beyond my skill-set.) For the portable version all you need to do is launch the file titled RBTrayPortable.exe (don't try to launch it by any other means) - that "launcher" will automatically launch the correct bit version, 32-bit or 64-bit, according to the bit-ness of your OS. To automate RBTray portable launch on system start-up just create a shortcut to that file in your Windows "Startup" menu folder.