MozillaZine

[FIXED] FF 57 will not allow login to some sites. [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
snailcoach
 
Posts: 33
Joined: May 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Post Posted November 28th, 2017, 8:05 pm

I'm using linux PCLOS KDE5. There was a Thunderbird update and after that I could no longer login to Goodreads on firefox 57 or Sea Monkey.

Pale Moon works fine

From a Windows machine, I can login to Goodreads with IE and Chrome but not Firefox 57. The Thunderbird update and the fact I can no longer login to GR on either Firefox or Sea Monkey could be a coincident but still. . .

What could be the issue please?

I noticed someone has a similar problem viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3036007
Last edited by snailcoach on November 30th, 2017, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 19154
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 1:51 pm

What does happen when you attempt to log in?

https://www.goodreads.com/

No problem signing in, SeaMonkey, Windows.

Can't really see how a TB update would affect SeaMonkey/FF?

Using a proxy or anything like that?
What are your settings for, Edit | Preferences | Advanced -> Proxies (SeaMonkey)?
And how does that compare to what is set for FF & PM & Chrome?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Diorser

User avatar
 
Posts: 934
Joined: June 22nd, 2005, 6:57 am

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 2:48 pm

No problem in Linux/Debian Stretch / KDE5.

@snailcoach
Which thunderbird version did you update ? And from which server ?
Could be a library conflict with shared libraries between Firefox & Thunderbird (never seen that in Debian).

+ don't you block cookies ?
+ did you try in safe mode ?

snailcoach
 
Posts: 33
Joined: May 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 8:40 pm

therube wrote:What does happen when you attempt to log in?

https://www.goodreads.com/

No problem signing in, SeaMonkey, Windows.

Can't really see how a TB update would affect SeaMonkey/FF?

Using a proxy or anything like that?
What are your settings for, Edit | Preferences | Advanced -> Proxies (SeaMonkey)?
And how does that compare to what is set for FF & PM & Chrome?


Oh, thanks for the response.
It could just be a coincidence as I said. I'm not using a proxy.

What are your settings for, Edit | Preferences | Advanced -> Proxies (SeaMonkey)?
from the linux computer: Use Systems proxy settings and No Proxy for local host xxx. The same settings for FF (linux)

I don't really use Windows as such. I was only checking the browsers there. I'll check when I get to a Windows computer.

Funny thing is I just tried again and I can now login to Goodreads on both FF and Seamonkey. Except for a bunch of updates for KDE today, I didn't do anything special. Still it bothers me that I may not know the how and why of this issue.
Thanks again.

snailcoach
 
Posts: 33
Joined: May 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Diorser wrote:No problem in Linux/Debian Stretch / KDE5.

@snailcoach
Which thunderbird version did you update ? And from which server ?
Could be a library conflict with shared libraries between Firefox & Thunderbird (never seen that in Debian).

+ don't you block cookies ?
+ did you try in safe mode ?


updated to TBird 52.5 -and whichever server PCLOS used?
Heck, I didn't uncheck 'Accept cookies from websites, only 'Keep until I close Firefox' is checked.
No, I didn't try in safe mode.

Anyway, as I replied above, suddenly I can login to the site now without doing anything special -except for some system updates that came in today.That too could just be a coincidence, who knows.
Wish I knew what really went wrong.
I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

snailcoach
 
Posts: 33
Joined: May 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Ok so the reason I was able to login this time to the site was because I had not checked 'Accept cookies from websites'. When I checked that box, I was not able to login to goodreads.

What settings can I use that would allow me to access my goodreads account but still not leave the browser open like a free-for-all park?

Diorser

User avatar
 
Posts: 934
Joined: June 22nd, 2005, 6:57 am

Post Posted November 30th, 2017, 2:28 am

You cannot reject all cookies especially to login.
But you can remove them before closing Firefox.
Example with "Cookie AutoDelete" : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... utodelete/

snailcoach
 
Posts: 33
Joined: May 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Post Posted November 30th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Diorser wrote:You cannot reject all cookies especially to login.
But you can remove them before closing Firefox.
Example with "Cookie AutoDelete" : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... utodelete/


You're very right, Diorser. I used 'Accept Cookies from this site'. Login works then.

I guess different settings works differently with different sites.

thanks very much :)

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 17 guests