how can i work offline in the latest firefox?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mike821

how can i work offline in the latest firefox?

Post by mike821 »

back when i was on a dial up connection and used internet explorer i would be able to work offline and see all the websites that i had been to recently without being connected to the internet, but in firefox if i go to developer>work offline all of the websites i have visited cannot be seen, i get a message like "cannot access website because you are working offline"
DanRaisch

Re: how can i work offline in the latest firefox?

Post by DanRaisch »

Try "File->Work offline".
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Alt + F select Work Offline
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
mike821

Post by mike821 »

DanRaisch wrote:Try "File->Work offline".
i tried that, i does not work because as soon as i click work offline i cannot access any of the webpages that i recently viewed online. how can i work offline like i used to with internet explorer when i could be offline and browse webpages that i had previously browsed while online? thanks.
mike821

Post by mike821 »

malliz wrote:Alt + F select Work Offline
ok i tried that too but i does not work because as soon as i click work offline i cannot access any of the webpages that i recently viewed online. how can i work offline like i used to with internet explorer when i could be offline and browse webpages that i had previously browsed while online? thanks.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Are you not able to access even very recently visited links? Have you reduced the size of your cache? How are you trying to browse these pages? I can see recent pages via the browser's history page (Alt+S) in off-line mode.
mike821

Post by mike821 »

Are you not able to access even very recently visited links?
no, i cant access links that i have just been to even right before i clicked work offline.
Have you reduced the size of your cache?
no, it says cache limit is 350 MB
mike821

Post by mike821 »

I can see recent pages via the browser's history page (Alt+S) in off-line mode.
apparently i am able to access some of the recent pages via the history page. i have increased cache size to 1000 MB in case that helps.
Duck_Dodgers

Post by Duck_Dodgers »

I've never used the "work offline' function, but I assume it uses your browsing history. If so, you don't have Firefox mistakenly configured to "clear history when Firefox closes," do you? Just a thought...

Mike
Quack! Quack!
mike821

Post by mike821 »

you don't have Firefox mistakenly configured to "clear history when Firefox closes," do you?
i dont have clear history when firefox closes checked.
mike821

Post by mike821 »

i notice that i am not able to raise the cache past 1024 MB, i think this may be the reason why i have difficulty accessing recently visited websites offline.

so i started a new thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14783349
mike821

Post by mike821 »

is it possible that certain websites may have a setting that prevents them from being seen offline? like this one:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... ane-forum/
therube

Post by therube »

is it possible that certain websites may have a setting that prevents them from being seen offline?
Yes.
https://
Secure sites, the content that travels over https: will not be cached - unless the site specifically allow it (basically).
(Perhaps more generally, & more accurately, the site needs to allow caching. MDN: HTTP caching.)

Code: Select all

URL: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/1-general-x-plane-forum/
Cache-control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript