Firefox little bit hidden at the top

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mory

Firefox little bit hidden at the top

Post by Mory »

hi,

upgrade to Windows 10 today.

Firefox : look at the top. It's a little bit hidden.

Something to do with this problem ?

Thanks a lot.

Brummelchen

Re: Firefox little bit hidden at the top

Post by Brummelchen »

remove userchrome.css or theme/persona
Mory

Post by Mory »

Thanks for your answer....

There's no theme at all.

It happened with W10. With W 7 there was no problem.

And if I remove my userChrome, Firefox isn't as I want it any more. :oops:

May be there is a css modification.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Mory wrote:Thanks for your answer....

There's no theme at all.

It happened with W10. With W 7 there was no problem.

And if I remove my userChrome, Firefox isn't as I want it any more. :oops:

May be there is a css modification.
So figure out which lines of code styles that area of the UI (user interface) and fix what's wrong with that code. IMO, the mod that you did to the Tab Bar by moving it down is "fraught with peril" when done improperly and I have seen so many variations of that type of code posted in 3 different Firefox support fora that I am not surprised to see a user have problems after styling Firefox in that manner. I like Tabs on Top, so I have no experience with that type of modification. What works 100% for one user, may not work correctly for other users. Too many variables are involved; OS & version of OS, the platform - Mac, Windows, Linux, and the theme the user has selected - and don't say you aren't using a theme I have seen other users post screenshots from Fx 57 on Win10 and saw the Default Light colored theme in most; and I use Win7 which also has the Light Theme as the default. All those variables can make a difference in what works properly and what doesn't.

My advice is to look for and try other userChrome code for that type of modification to find one that works better. There's a good repository of userChrome.css code being out together over here - https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/ - look for similar code there to see if you can come up with code that works better.
--------------------

A little bit of warning about userChrome.css. Mozilla is very concerned about the number of people who have started using userChrome.css with Quantum.Their concern is that users are gonna screw up their Firefox and cause support headaches for them when users "get in over their heads" and make Mozilla look bad; that would counteract Mozilla efforts at limiting what UI modifications are allowed by extensions. i.e., hundreds of thousands or millions of users screwing up Firefox, instead of a few dozen extension or themes developers doing the same thing.

The result in the short term may result in Mozilla limiting the type of mods that can be dome, and in the long run Mozilla might just eliminate the users ability to even use a userChrome.css in Firefox. Please don't screw things up for the advanced users who may have been using userChrome.css for many years for minor 'tweaks' but screaming too often and too loud when you have problems. I am not making an accusation of that - right now - but I am seeing so many loud complaints about Mozilla "expecting users to learn to use CSS" to provide features that used to be available from an extension that is now defunct. I don't want a bunch of "johnny come lately's" screwing things up for users such as myself who have been using userChrome.css for many years (since 2004 with Firefox 0.9 for me) and not having any problems that I couldn't fix quietly and by myself; problems that I created for myself by deviating beyond my skills and then learning more about CSS painstakingly as I worked to fix what I broke. I have even "fixed" extensions that got broken after a major update, spending many dozens of hours trying to effect a "fix"; not even a 20% success ratio - 2 for 11 attempts back in the days of Firefox 3.0 in 2007 -2008 as it was being developed on the Minefield branch, which is now called Nightly, but now with only a 6 week development period vs. how ever long it took (record was 4.0 which was in Minefield for well over a year & 1/2).

Per a Bugzilla report that was mentioned in another thread here at mozillaZine earlier today, I saw mention of that Bug report where it was decided that Firefox 59 is slated to have a "detector" via the Telemetry feature that looks for the presence of a /chrome/ folder. Also discussed in that Bug report was "snatching" the userChrome.css file so the developers can see what mods are being done, and then "blocking" certain types of code that they feel is "dangerous". Mozilla may not go that far initially, but if their Telemetry shows too many users are using userChrome.css files a few developers were discussing how to do that and do have a "solution" which would be very hard to add to the "next version of Firefox" if that determine that userChrome.css is very wide spread. And they have already discussed what they may want to "block".
--------------------

In conclusion, I am not a programmer, just very concerned long time Firefox and userChrome.css user. When I was in college the first "PC" hadn't even been thought of; the first "PC" came over a decade latter. I am retired now and worked in the auto repair field for 30 years, owning my own shop for the last 25 years before I retired early. Computers & electronics became my 3rd hobby after retirement (after playing with modifying my own cars and woodworking); my only real advantage over other people of my "vintage" with computers is that I started using a PC in 1984 for my business when to even open an application a user needed to know command line to make it work and the date had to be typed in every time the PC was turned on. The former was "fixed" with another application that was very expensive, but required command line knowledge to get it set up intially; the latter was "fixed" by installing an ISA card that had time/date keeping circuitry and "coin" battery to save the time when the PC was turned off and when turned on it automatically "inserted the date/time" in the Operating System so as to keep the file system properly dated/timed or risk loss of date/time sequencing for the business data files that were saved - which did happen when a person forgot what day it was, all too often. First 6 months before I installed that ISA card was hell, too many invoices were screwed up and difficult to find in the program I was using or were lost altogether - after spending in excess of $8,000 on hardware and software, and spending hundreds of hours getting it usable for my business, I still had to spend more money and spend more time "fixing" it.

So I am just another user who's been around Firefox since Aug 2002; I change what I can learn to change and "go with the flow" with changes that I can't "fix". I have tried other web browsers in the last year knowing that an "earth shaking change" was coming to Firefox; but none that I permit the user to configure their browser like Mozilla has allowed with Firefox. And even with the "lost features" in Quantum, Firefox is still miles ahead of the "other guys" in that regard, IMHO. I will slowly customize my Quantum installation for the next 3 or 4 version releases, and when it is "ready" I will stop using the many older versions that I have installed. Firefox ESR 38.5.0 which I use here and at other Firefox support fora; Firefox 47.0.1 for general surfing and at YouTube (which has become problematic with 47 as of late); along with Firefox 56.0.2 which is my "default browser"; and the Portable version of Firefox 57.0.3 which I am experimenting with trying out the new batch of WebExtensions and perfecting my userChrome.css file and the @Import CSS files I am trying out. BTW, using the @Import files (? Style Recipe ?) makes it easier to test new CSS batches of code and disabling them when you run into problems, like you are having. Comment out the @Import line to disable the related file (? Style Recipe ?) and look for better code that does the same thing, but better.

If you are you're still reading this and are still interested in using userChrome.css and you want to learn more about it, see this website which was created by a long time Firefox support contributor on many Firefox support fora - jscher2000:
https://www.userchrome.org/
https://www.userchrome.org/adding-style ... namespaces
https://www.userchrome.org/find-user-style-recipes.html
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Mory

Post by Mory »

the-edmeister wrote: So figure out which lines of code styles that area of the UI (user interface) and fix what's wrong with that code.
You're right, I found it. Now it's ok.

the-edmeister wrote: and don't say you aren't using a theme

Oh yes...I thought Brummelchen was talking about a non Firefox theme. There are 3 : Default, light, dark. I use the dark one.

--------------------
the-edmeister wrote: have been using userChrome.css for many years (since 2004 with Firefox 0.9 for me) and not having any problems that I couldn't fix quietly and by myself
It's not a competition :D but I've been using this since May 2004, FF 0.8, without any trouble. There was a nice community at this time on the french forum "Geckozone".

Thank you for your answer and have a good time with Firefox.
therube

Post by therube »

> and make Mozilla look bad

Mozilla does not need anyone's help in that department.

> Mozilla is very concerned about the number of people who have started using userChrome.css with Quantum

And people are using userChrome.css for the simple reason that there is no other method to meet their wants.

> concern is that users are gonna screw up their Firefox

That's a given.
But then what do they expect when they remove all other avenues, say like a very broad extension that handled all different types of UI changes, that allowed users to simply pick & choose, that was development & supported & kept current... well, until.

> a few dozen extension

Yep, that about sums up the situation, a few dozen very poor extensions, that do very little, that one now has the "benefit" of using.

> or themes developers

There is no longer that thing called "themes".

> Mozilla limiting

Go figure.
The leader of the "open" web, is now the leader of "limiting".

> don't screw things up for the advanced users

And just how do you figure that Mozilla gives a damn about "advanced users".
They've already proven that they don't.
Users don't use extensions. Users are not expected to even think for themselves.
If users don't even use extensions (or themes), just how many users do you think will take the trouble upon themselves to figure out how to use & tweak CSS settings. (Not to mention that with every change is a required a browser restart. Oh yeah, remember when... when that extension existed, where you could make changes without... Oh, I must be dreaming.)

> I am seeing so many loud complaints about Mozilla "expecting users to learn to use CSS" to provide features that used to be
> available from an extension that is now defunct

Now if that isn't a telling statement.

> screwing things up for users

And are things not already screwed up enough, where some choose to use quite a bit older, even unsupported versions of FF, say 38.
And other users have chosen to revert back to 56 (even if it might not be the right thing to do) & others have jumped back the the ESR 52 level, waiting out, in vain as we will see, for "fixes" in forthcoming versions of FF.

> "blocking" certain types of code that they feel is "dangerous"

OK mother. OK big brother. You've done the thinking for me. Thank you, I feel better now (echoed the mindless drones).

Have we not known for ages now that userChrome.css is dead, that it was just a matter of time until Mozilla "justified" it.
Well, justification is upon us. (<Trumpets play> [like when Gabriel blew his horn])

I'm afraid that our "wants" simply are not what Mozilla wants (what they want is anyone's clue ? only thing I can figure is to milk the $$ while its there) so... you know how that goes.

---

Your conclusion sounds much like my fathers, who while also not a programmer, was instrumental in bring computers; first terminal based single user system, terminal based multi-user mini's, terminal based unix systems, & then networked PCs, into our business & "programed" applications to meet our needs. (Heh. I can image if someone told him he "couldn't".)

---

I was a theme developer.
They killed themes.

I was an extension developer.
They killed extensions.

I wrote & compiled all kinds of CSS code snippets, hopefully bringing them to a point where mere mortals could use them.
They killed CSS.

What am I now?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript