Bing keeps setting itself as default search

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jaybiam

Re: Bing keeps setting itself as default search

Post by jaybiam »

therube wrote:Do you have a user.js file in your Profile folder?
i just have mine, what i've tried since last i was here was completely uninstalling firefox and all settings, folders, etc ... reinstalling ... reset my default search and removed all others. on the list there are two Bing.. one is Bing the other is Bing Search Engine, now THAT one is the one that keeps popping up. I have zero addons at this point, fresh settings and yet Bing Search Engine keeps setting itself as default search ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Try Killing it in Windows, first. I'ts a MS search engine
https://encrypted.google.com/search?sou ... 0ItyG1P1VM
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
jaybiam

Post by jaybiam »

***SOLVED*** Ok I fixed it ... what I was doing wrong with it was removing all search engines including Bing, so I restored them all ..leaving them, and just removing the checkmark, except on Google it popped up a button "Restore Default Search Engines" .. if you remove a search engine completely that box disappears... so I left it and, checked it, it greyed out, I closed out Firefox and came back on, and voila Google stuck. I have no idea why Firefox gives this option to remove them if all it's going to do is add what you removed as your default, but Bing Search Engine and in other forums Yahoo seem to be the ones affected by this. Thank you all so much for your assistance in this!
jaybiam

Post by jaybiam »

JayhawksRock wrote:Try Killing it in Windows, first. I'ts a MS search engine
https://encrypted.google.com/search?sou ... 0ItyG1P1VM
Still going to have to look this over as well...
larissap112

Post by larissap112 »

jaybiam wrote:***SOLVED*** Ok I fixed it ... what I was doing wrong with it was removing all search engines including Bing, so I restored them all ..leaving them, and just removing the checkmark, except on Google it popped up a button "Restore Default Search Engines" .. if you remove a search engine completely that box disappears... so I left it and, checked it, it greyed out, I closed out Firefox and came back on, and voila Google stuck. I have no idea why Firefox gives this option to remove them if all it's going to do is add what you removed as your default, but Bing Search Engine and in other forums Yahoo seem to be the ones affected by this. Thank you all so much for your assistance in this!
I registered just to tell you thank you.

This was absolutely driving me insane. And yes, as soon as I changed my default back to google I would delete Bing altogether. Yet, it would come back after FireFox was closed and re-opened, and set as my default.

Funny how DuckDuckGo was also deleted but was never re-added nor made my default search engine. I still smell a rat.