MozillaZine

FF 57 | F6 on YouTube goes to top, not to original selection

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JayDee_

Post Posted December 28th, 2017, 12:33 pm

I use the F6 functionality for one of my own semi-automated notation tools I use all the time...

It allows the tool to go to the location bar (F6 or Ctrl+L) and return to my original text selection using F6 (again).

On YouTube this does not work perfectly anymore.
The original text is indeed selected but now out of view.
After (2nd time) F6, the view is now the top of the page, which I don't think is the intention of F6...?

Just select some comment text and press 2x F6 to verify.

I could just drop the 2nd F6 from the automation, but it has drawbacks too.

Is this all YouTube code's fault, or is FF involved and can it be remedied...?

P.S.
Some whining on the side... :mrgreen:
To make some situations work, I used to have alternate solutions to get the URL with MozRepl, or Ctrl+D.
MozRepl is now incompatible and Ctrl+D now seems to have the URL field removed... :cry:
Seems this only leaves me 'Page Info' to get the URL from (in an alternative way than from the location bar).

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted December 28th, 2017, 11:03 pm

F6 cycles between frames in the document. YouTube uses inline frames in their layout, hence the result.

What are you trying to do, exactly? How is keyboard-based automation any more convenient than simply right-clicking the location bar and choosing Copy?

Someone wrote an Autohotkey script. Try that out first.

Alternatively, you can use an add-on like Copy URL + Title to add an option to copy the current URL to the context menu. You can then use your automation software to copy the URL. In my case it's Shift+F10, Up, Right, Down, Down, Enter.

therube

Post Posted December 29th, 2017, 7:07 am

F6 cycles between frames in the document.

Right. I don't see where F6 is returning to some preset position on a page after leaving the URL bar.

(<A href='http://www.gena01.com/'>Welcome to Gena01.com</A> is highly awkward & far less useful then The Copy URL+ extension enables you to copy to the clipboard the current document's address along with additional information such as the document's title, the current selection or both, but then given this new FF "norm", I guess you should not any longer expect, quality. Pity.

Heh. Funny. I can't even copy the Copy URL + Title AMO webpage - using Copy URL + Title - because Mozilla blocks extensions there, so I substituted Gennady's web page instead, which I could copy the URL, using Copy URL + Title - in HTML format - which might not work so well on this board?

Oh, & I even quoted the above quote using CopyURL+.
;-).)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to Firefox Support