MozillaZine

Firefox slow to startup: high active time, low read speed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bookmarkimport

Post Posted January 5th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Alright, well, the problem has been narrowed further...

1. I made a 10GB volume on E: using VeraCrypt (an updated fork of TrueCrypt) and copied my 2GB Firefox profile to it. The profile loaded fast.

2. However, when I made a 10GB TrueCrypt volume on the same E: drive, that was also fast. So it's not a TrueCrypt only issue.

3. I then converted my big Z: drive from TrueCrypt to VeraCrypt, the Firefox profile was still just as slow loading as with TrueCrypt. So the problem appears to be a big volume that's encrypted with either TC/VC. I was hopeful of VC since they said there are fewer performance issues. I'll ask them about it, but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know here. Thanks!

TheVisitor

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 4:09 am

bookmarkimport wrote:Alright, well, the problem has been narrowed further...

1. I made a 10GB volume on E: using VeraCrypt (an updated fork of TrueCrypt) and copied my 2GB Firefox profile to it. The profile loaded fast.

2. However, when I made a 10GB TrueCrypt volume on the same E: drive, that was also fast. So it's not a TrueCrypt only issue.

3. I then converted my big Z: drive from TrueCrypt to VeraCrypt, the Firefox profile was still just as slow loading as with TrueCrypt. So the problem appears to be a big volume that's encrypted with either TC/VC. I was hopeful of VC since they said there are fewer performance issues. I'll ask them about it, but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know here. Thanks!

Wait, What ? How do you wind up with a 2GB Profile ?

bookmarkimport

Post Posted January 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

TheVisitor wrote:Wait, What ? How do you wind up with a 2GB Profile ?

1. webappsstore.sqlite is 431 MB and storage/temporary is 700 MB

2. When I sync'd that profile to a new profile, it was much smaller but the same lag was there if the profile was located in the big encrypted Z: drive. On the other hand, when I had a small encrypted file, even the 2GB profile worked fast.

bookmarkimport

Post Posted January 16th, 2018, 1:16 am

It's been over a week, wanted to bump in case anyone had any ideas. Thanks!!

therube

Post Posted January 16th, 2018, 6:28 am

1. webappsstore.sqlite is 431 MB and storage/temporary is 700 MB

Both seem, to me, compared to what I have (12 / 27 MB), rather huge.

Note that some extensions store their settings/data within storage.
(uBlock, in storage/default. Oh, & my 27 MB is mainly from uBlock. The actual /temporary/ is 0.)

2. sync
I know nothing of sync, but maybe it skips much of or all of storage/temporary?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

allande

Post Posted January 16th, 2018, 11:02 am

This could be a long shot, but make sure you don't have bitlocker turned on on the hard drive partition that stores the encrypted container file. If you did, it would be double-encrypting and it might rewrite large portions of the container every time a small change was made. It is also typical to exclude the container file from your antivirus software for a similar reason, to avoid repeated scanning of a huge file.

bookmarkimport

Post Posted January 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm

allande wrote:This could be a long shot, but make sure you don't have bitlocker turned on on the hard drive partition that stores the encrypted container file. If you did, it would be double-encrypting and it might rewrite large portions of the container every time a small change was made. It is also typical to exclude the container file from your antivirus software for a similar reason, to avoid repeated scanning of a huge file.

I don't have bitlocker, so that's not an issue. I've excluded the encrypted file from Avast, but unfortunately that hasn't changed anything. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Return to Firefox Support