Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Eckard

Re: Firefox weirdness about applications for jpegs. [Mac.]

Post by Eckard »

Hi,
Pepitaux wrote: Here is the problem: I display any jpeg (extension .jpeg or .jpg) image found on Google, I drag and drop it on my desktop, and 99% of the time the default app to open the image has changed (in my case, from "Preview'" to "Neat Image").
Several weeks after writing my comment from January 3rd I discovered a bug report related to this problem:
Bug 1389836 "Saving images via drag-and-drop loses filename extension".

Then, about two weeks ago I noticed that the file/application association was broken for all my text files. TextEdit.app had been for years the default app for my .txt, .rtf, .ini, .mab, .css or .db files but suddenly for an unknown reason this association was broken and TextEdit was replaced with Pages or Numbers as the default app.
Restarting my Mac or using the "maintenance" feature of Onyx or a special command line in Terminal) would temporarily restore the text file/TextEdit association but half an hour or several hours later the association was broken again.

It took me several days of searching and a ten days discussion in a French macOS newsgroup until I found the following Apple discussion:
"File Associations Keep Changing" https://discussions.apple.com/message/33052869
Finally a more thorough search made me discover the more recent Bug 1437281 "OSX dragging image to desktop changes OSX File associations"

Comment #22 describes a workaround for this issue until the bug gets fixed:
• type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter,
• search for the option "security.sandbox.content.level" and toggle its value from "3" to "2".
• Restart Firefox.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Hello Eckard. I find this interesting since I have never had an issue with loosing the correct file extension using drag and drop on Mac using FF. FYI, my default FF "security.sandbox.content.level" is "3".

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

RobertJ wrote: I have never had an issue with loosing the correct file extension using drag and drop on Mac using FF.
That's because you're a lucky guy ;)
I've been going nearly mad last week since I couldn't find a lasting fix...
therube

Post by therube »

(That's certainly an odd one. Never would have figured that a browser would so affect file associations in an OS.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
JoTaPe

Post by JoTaPe »

Eckard
Je viens de perdre mon association TextEdit/fichier RTF, je ne sais trop à la suite de quoi, mais pas suite à un drag&drop d'une image Firefox sur le bureau.
Firefox n'est donc pas le seul coupable en cette affaire de perte d'associations.
J'étais dans ma machine virtuelle SL /VirtualBox, suis revenu sur le bureau de l'hôte pour ouvrir un post enregistré par MT-NewsWatcher dans la VM et transféré sur l'hôte HSierra via le partage de fichiers. : icône vide, "Ouvrir avec" Pages (defaut) au lieu de TextEdit.
Détail : je venais juste de redémarrer le iMac, relancer la VM.

JPP des newgroups Mac.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

@JPP,
en effet, ce nouveau problème ne semble pas lié au drag&drop d'une image depuis Firefox.
Sans avoir la même configuration il sera difficile de reproduire ton problème.
Peut-être tu devrais ouvrir un nouveau fil de discussion dans le newsgroup Mac français ?

The issue which you describe seems to be not related with the Firefox image drag&drop problem.
Without having the same setup as yours (virtual machine Snow Leopard/virtual box) it will be difficult to reproduce your issue.
Maybe you should start a new thread in the French Mac newsgroup ?
JoTaPe

Post by JoTaPe »

Eckard wrote:@JPP,.............
Maybe you should start a new thread in the French Mac newsgroup ?
Yes, "maybe", but NO :-)
If I get something new, I will report here or in private, if you are interested
Mail :xxxxx@libre-en-anglais

My last trials let me think that, on a drag&drop, the Finder does not receive the information it needs about a file to perform the required association (*). Hence, it looks for a substitute. Where and how ? I don't know.
(*) ex. : a text file without extension.
Last edited by DanRaisch on April 5th, 2018, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

JoTaPe wrote: If I get something new, I will report here or in private, if you are interested
Mail :not allowed
Okay.
My last trials let me think that, on a drag&drop, the Finder does not receive the information it needs about a file to perform the required association (*).
So this would be a bug in High Sierra since the Firefox (Mac) bug 1389836 - "Saving images via drag-and-drop loses filename extension" has been resolved.
JoTaPe

Post by JoTaPe »

Hi !
That bug is not only in HSierra as it has been mentioned with El Capitan (I got it) and as soon as in Mavericks !
------------
Problème non spécifique à Firefox/Mozilla : meilleur d'en parler en privé ? Envoie un mail.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

JoTaPe wrote:Hi !

Problème non spécifique à Firefox/Mozilla : meilleur d'en parler en privé ? Envoie un mail.
okay, but first send me a private message in this forum since I don't have your address.