Firefox might cause blue screen for death

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BillyAwesome

Re: Firefox might cause blue screen for death

Post by BillyAwesome »

I'm experiencing very similar problems. A few seconds after starting Firefox, BSOD happens. Same with Opera Browser, and AFAIR Palemoon (afraid to reassure that). Currently using the most recent version of the SeaMonkey browser, paired with Firefox-Ubuntu in a VirtualMachine and a Firefox on a Ubuntu partition on the same machine as the BSOD appears to happen. Those alternatives are running just fine.

The problem occurs since 1st or 2nd of January on my Win7 x64 System only, that is powered by an Intel Core i5 Lynnfield processor. I could imagine that the issue has something to do with some recent Windows Update targeting CPU security flaws as I've read posts on other forums leading in that direction. Interestingly, a "sfc /scannow" reports uncorrectable errors.
therube

Post by therube »

See what kind of clues Windows Event Viewer (or FullEventLogView) might give you (like the Event ID for starters).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Brummelchen wrote:go c:\windows\minidumps
pack the last 3 dmp files and upload it elsewhere to investigate.
Interestingly, a "sfc /scannow" reports uncorrectable errors.
perform the inplace repair.
BillyAwesome

Post by BillyAwesome »

Thanks for your quick reply. For some magical reason, every browser (and program) seems to run stable again. There have been many Windows Updates in the last few days and my guess is, those are what caused and then solved the issues I was talking about.
Brummelchen wrote:
go c:\windows\minidumps
pack the last 3 dmp files and upload it elsewhere to investigate.
My OS is not configured to create those minidumps. The folder is empty.
perform the inplace repair.
I tried to perform that via multiple tools, none of those worked. If some problem persists, I will have to do a clean reinstall. "sfc /scannow" still reports those errors.
See what kind of clues Windows Event Viewer (or FullEventLogView) might give you (like the Event ID for starters).
I had a look at those logfiles. There are tons of failures listed in the logs, which happened in the last two weeks. As most of my system (at least all the webbrowsers) runs stable again, I won't list any of that here for now. If some fishy things occur in the future concerning Mozilla browsers, I will report back to you. Thanks for your help.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

then configure it - no dumps, no investigations possible.
I tried to perform that via multiple tools, none of those worked. If some problem persists, I will have to do a clean reinstall. "sfc /scannow" still reports those errors.
ofc that MUST fail - inplace is a windows dvd repair option. please search for a tutorial in englisch (i can only give in german)

i asked for reason because i can analyse dump files - need some experience. the windows event log cant help out, its just information but not helpful. firefox cant cause blue screens - its a driver - and the dump will tell me which one.