[request] BOOST VOLUME option

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Barabba

[request] BOOST VOLUME option

Post by Barabba »

Hi all, I hope a good sould of developers group may hear my voice! Thank you for support!

Too many times we have to deal with audio contents recorded with miserable volume, even professional staff in tv broadcasts don't know well their jobs.. the result is that we struggle hearing streaming, Youtube, etc.etc, with maximum volume set everywhere and no chance to "pre-amplify" or "normalize" the audio source. No instruments, no tools, youtube doesn't offer, flash player.. aha those men (in more than 10 years of development they never thought to introduce it).. if we use only thebuilt-in laptop speakers or headphones we can't hear when noise is around.

But a plugin or a simple control in Firefox may solve all issues the others won't fix never.
May you please add t firefox, for example close to download icon, a slider with pre-amplify option?
Thank you so much!

PS: pls dont' reply like " buy external speakers with volume amplifer" or "download the video and play it with VLC", thank you
Brummelchen

Re: [request] BOOST VOLUME option

Post by Brummelchen »

if you wont believe or not - firefox cant do this.

use driver options or windows mixer options.

or buy an amp :p
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

Thanks for reply. Even on HTML5?
For Firefox I can believe, flash will manage audio directly to windows or audio device
About drivers, I've never see one with preamplification feature.
About Amp, as told, out of discussion. If you're using a laptop you suppose to don't use external active devices. Otherwise we would all have a desktop one.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

There are no developers here; this isn't Mozilla. See box on the right side of the page. You could submit your problem to https://support.mozilla.org, but FF can't do it right now. I use the Windows volume control or VLC if it's an important video.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

You could buy external speakers with a volume amplifier or alternatively download the video and play it with VLC.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

SoundFixer claims to work on YouTube, but warns it may not work on other sites.

If setting the level to 100 in the Volume Mixer isn't enough, try enabling "Loudness equalization" in your sound drivers. If that doesn't help either, look for a third-party utility to boost the sound level in the operating system.

You can try filing a new bug report if one doesn't already exist.
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

Thank you for many answers mates!
We live in 2018, it's unbelievable there isn't a way yet to workaround the problems with poor audio volume videos!
Gingerbread Man wrote:Hello,

SoundFixer claims to work on YouTube, but warns it may not work on other sites.

If setting the level to 100 in the Volume Mixer isn't enough, try enabling "Loudness equalization" in your sound drivers. If that doesn't help either, look for a third-party utility to boost the sound level in the operating system.

You can try filing a new bug report if one doesn't already exist.

I'll try SoundFixer. For the rest my drivers doesn't have such features, like probably milions of other PC in the world, and milions of people who doesn't have ideas how is "loudness" and how to enable it. Flash player and all other programs should introduce a normalization feature, I wrote them.
Frank Lion wrote:You could buy external speakers with a volume amplifier or alternatively download the video and play it with VLC.
Thsi is exactly what I asked to avoid reply.
LoveMyFoxy wrote:There are no developers here; this isn't Mozilla. See box on the right side of the page. You could submit your problem to https://support.mozilla.org, but FF can't do it right now. I use the Windows volume control or VLC if it's an important video.
I'm doing it, thank you
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Barabba wrote:my drivers doesn't have such features
  1. Open up the Windows volume mixer.
  2. Click the icon for your sound device (at the top of the leftmost column).
  3. In the Properties window that opened, click the Enhancements tab.
  4. You should find "Loudness Equalization" at the bottom of the list. Check it, then click the OK button.
Barabba

Post by Barabba »

thank you, that helps a bit, about 20% more (if before the peak was around 30% of the mixer's vu-meter bar, not it reaches the 50%. Anyway no chances yet to achieve 100%.
I've also the sensation the sound is "compressed" now, the dynamic isn't the same ad original. I can be wrong