Preferences > Colors loses images, visited links, etc

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ttggzz

Preferences > Colors loses images, visited links, etc

Post by ttggzz »

Hi, I searched here and could not find this exact scenario. I disabled no squint plus after it stopped working/remembering settings a while back. Found some nice settings in preferences but it won't do everything I want at once. Ideally, white text on black background, blue and purple for visited/unvisited links, always override page colors.

When I do this, youtube is a good example: the preview image in the player will be blank, only shown when you start playing. On amazon, looking at reviews the star ratings will not be visible. On log in pages you can't see stuff like checkbox for "always stay logged in". Various images on many websites will be gone.

Edit: I wanted to edit this post, the "edit" settings etc were not visible. That simple black on white would be heavenly if you could still see everything on the page. I've actually been using it that way for a month or so, guessing where missing items are on the page.

When I change to use the above settings "only on pages with high contrast", visited/unvisited links no longer show, they are all black.
any ideas?
Gingerbread Man

Re: Preferences > Colors loses images, visited links, etc

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,
  1. Under about:preferences -> Colors…, disable "Override the colors…". That means set it to either the default of "Only with High Cotrast themes" or if you're actually using a High Contrast theme in Windows, set it to "Never" instead. Overriding web page colors that way disables image backgrounds, which are used for functionality like buttons aside from just decoration.
  2. Install Dark Mode.
  3. Click the ≡ Menu button, then Add-ons. Click Extensions on the left. Click the Options button next to the Dark Mode entry.
  4. Select your preferred style. Testing on Wikipedia, Mozilla Support, and Bugzilla, I think "Dark mode #12 (blue dark)" yields the best results.
  5. If at this point you're not happy with the link colors in any of the styles, you can override them with userContent.css (though if you'll pardon my bluntness, your choice of blue on black is an unreadable eyesore). Change the colors to whatever you like. As long as you maintain the LVHA order, you can omit lines you don't want to define.

Code: Select all

a:link { color: blue !important; }
    a:visited { color: purple !important; }
    a:hover { color: aqua !important; }
    a:active { color: red !important; }
ttggzz

Post by ttggzz »

your choice of blue on black is an unreadable eyesore
Thanks GM, I tested a fresh profile as I was suspicious of maybe having messed something up earlier. To clarify, my goal is to have simple black text on white background, always, everywhere.

If it matters I'm using Linux.

I installed "dark mode", NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :) that is what I am running screaming from. I want black text on white background.

With a brand new fresh profile, 2 sites I use heavily gave the following results, with "colors" set:
text: black
background: white
unvisited links: blue
visited: purple
use system colors: unchecked
underline links: checked
override the colors specified by the page with your selections above: always

Youtube: appears to be responding perfectly. I can now see the preview image in the player [some setting of mine must be messing with that in my old profile], and links change from blue to purple when clicked. Text in the comments is black on a white background. Spectacular.

Amazon: Here is where the problem occurs, that I was seeing on many websites affecting various elements. When I search for an item on Amazon and see various choices, text is black on white, links are blue and turn purple when visited. However, it's supposed to show a number of how many reviews the item has received and you can see the 5 stars next to it with the stars colored gold. No stars are visible, just the number.

Oh, and when I turn on "dark mode" with Amazon displaying as above, no stars appear it just reverses the everything.

When I change in "colors" to "only with high contrast themes", on youtube the preview image is still there [seems I definitely screwed up something in my other profile], but all the links stay black, no colors.

On Amazon, the 5 rating stars are now visible, all links are blue but they do not change to purple when clicked.
ttggzz

Post by ttggzz »

Youtube: appears to be responding perfectly. I can now see the preview image in the player [some setting of mine must be messing with that in my old profile],
OK, figured that one out... it's the add on Particle/Youtube Plus, the preview image disappears when installed. That I'll have to live with, couldn't fathom using youtube without it
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

ttggzz wrote:Ideally, white text on black background, blue and purple for visited/unvisited links, always override page colors.
ttggzz wrote:I installed "dark mode", NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :) that is what I am running screaming from. I want black text on white background.
](*,)
ttggzz wrote:all the links stay black, no colors.
[…]
all links are blue but they do not change to purple when clicked.
  • The file must be named exactly userContent.css with a lowercase u and a capital C. Windows hides file extensions by default, resulting in the file often being named userContent.css.txt by accident, but I take it that's not the case on Linux.
  • The file must be placed in the chrome folder inside the Firefox profile folder. Again, the name is case-sensitive.
  • A restart is required for changes to take effect.
  • Saving history must be enabled and private browsing mode disabled, otherwise Firefox doesn't know what pages you visited.