add buttons to menu bar ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cxmacleod

add buttons to menu bar ?

Post by cxmacleod »

I want to add some buttons to the menu bar, but I have no idea how it works. I don't really want thumbnails, just make a button with words like the others, but clicking it takes you to a website.

Such as - a button that says Google and clicking it takes you to Google.

Can this be done in userchrome, or does it take some other method?
DanRaisch

Re: add buttons to menu bar ?????????????????

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you switched on the Bookmark Toolbar? Try menu path View->Toolbars->click on the "Bookmarks Toolbar".
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

cxmacleod wrote:I want to add some buttons to the menu bar, but I have no idea how it works. I don't really want thumbnails, just make a button with words like the others, but clicking it takes you to a website.

I have my menu toolbar, setup, so that it not only has the icon, but also the text to go along with it. I editted my userChrome.css file so, that I can move certain addons from my different toolbars, and will have the icon along with the text. Looks so much better and cleaner this way. 8-)
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

CaJazzman wrote:
cxmacleod wrote:I want to add some buttons to the menu bar, but I have no idea how it works. I don't really want thumbnails, just make a button with words like the others, but clicking it takes you to a website.

I have my menu toolbar, setup, so that it not only has the icon, but also the text to go along with it. I editted my userChrome.css file so, that I can move certain addons from my different toolbars, and will have the icon along with the text. Looks so much better and cleaner this way. 8-)
Okay, great. How do I do that? I'm not good with doing CSS programming.
cxmacleod

Re: add buttons to menu bar ?

Post by cxmacleod »

I found a website where you can put in a link and a button will be generated. Works good.

https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/l ... ton-maker/
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

That's the old button-maker. Some changes made for WE. Each button will need to be a separate extension.
https://codefisher.org/news/2017/10/06/ ... r-buttons/
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:That's the old button-maker. Some changes made for WE. Each button will need to be a separate extension.
https://codefisher.org/news/2017/10/06/ ... r-buttons/
Old or not, it works, and I knew each button had to be a seperate extension. I made 6 buttons already. I would have preferred to have titles on the buttons, but I can live with just icons until someone comes out with something better.

The only problem I had, was I tried to make a button that pointed to a location on my hard drive. I wanted a button that would load an html file in firefox, but it didn't work. It did nothing when clicked.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

cxmacleod wrote:... just make a button with words like the others, but clicking it takes you to a website.

That is what a bookmark on the toolbar is.

Add 1 line of code to userChrome.css and they will have no text next to them, if that's what you want.

Here's general links on this - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bo ... e-websites

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1100805
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

cxmacleod this is how my userChrome.css, looks like:

Code: Select all

/* Firefox userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* FILL BOOKMARK FOLDERS WITH GIVEN COLOUR */
/* THIS ALSO WORKS WHEN USING "Show All Bookmarks" */
.bookmark-item[container], treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container) {
  fill: orange !important;
}

/* tabs on bottom */
#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar) {-moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
#toolbar-menubar .toolbarbutton-text { display: block !important; }
#nav-bar .toolbarbutton-text { display: block !important; }
/* Search Bar width */
.searchbar-textbox {
max-width: 500px !important;
min-width: 300px !important; }
 .tab-background {
border-radius: 16px 16px 0px 0px !important;
border-image: none !important; }

.tab-line {
display: none; }
#TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important}?
You could copy and paste it, to see if it's what you want. 8-)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

thanks,@ cxmacleod--
Sorry, I don't have 57, so I couldn't test them out. With my old ones, the name appears when I hover over them. Most of them are for functions, not bookmarks. My bookmark ones are part of Custom Buttons, another extension that won't work at all with WE, so Codefisher has added that functionality to his.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

Frank Lion wrote:
cxmacleod wrote:... just make a button with words like the others, but clicking it takes you to a website.

That is what a bookmark on the toolbar is.

Add 1 line of code to userChrome.css and they will have no text next to them, if that's what you want.

Here's general links on this - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bo ... e-websites

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1100805
The problem here is you have to drag the whole bookmarks bar. I don't want to do that. I only want to drag about 5 or 6 things.
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

CaJazzman wrote:cxmacleod this is how my userChrome.css, looks like:

Code: Select all

/* Firefox userChrome.css */

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* FILL BOOKMARK FOLDERS WITH GIVEN COLOUR */
/* THIS ALSO WORKS WHEN USING "Show All Bookmarks" */
.bookmark-item[container], treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container) {
  fill: orange !important;
}

/* tabs on bottom */
#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar) {-moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
#toolbar-menubar .toolbarbutton-text { display: block !important; }
#nav-bar .toolbarbutton-text { display: block !important; }
/* Search Bar width */
.searchbar-textbox {
max-width: 500px !important;
min-width: 300px !important; }
 .tab-background {
border-radius: 16px 16px 0px 0px !important;
border-image: none !important; }

.tab-line {
display: none; }
#TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important}?
You could copy and paste it, to see if it's what you want. 8-)
What exactly does all this do? I don't see where you're defining a button on what to do. What action to do, what website to go to? Is CSS really that confusing?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

cxmacleod wrote:The problem here is you have to drag the whole bookmarks bar. I don't want to do that. I only want to drag about 5 or 6 things.
Well that being the case, best you stick to the method you're using.
cxmacleod wrote:The only problem I had, was I tried to make a button that pointed to a location on my hard drive. I wanted a button that would load an html file in firefox, but it didn't work. It did nothing when clicked.
Drag that local html file into a blank Firefox tab. See the path now in the addressbar (and that its format is slightly different to the path you entered before?) - that is what you enter into the button stuff and in that format it'll recognise it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

cxmacleod wrote:The only problem I had, was I tried to make a button that pointed to a location on my hard drive. I wanted a button that would load an html file in firefox, but it didn't work. It did nothing when clicked.
Drag that local html file into a blank Firefox tab. See the path now in the addressbar (and that its format is slightly different to the path you entered before?) - that is what you enter into the button stuff and in that format it'll recognise it.
What I did was right click and open in new tab. The address is file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/Personal%20Folder/_Firefox/Bookmarks.html, but the button does not work.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

cxmacleod wrote:What I did was right click and open in new tab. The address is file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/Personal%20Folder/_Firefox/Bookmarks.html[/color][/b], but the button does not work.
Could be the Windows space character (%20) in the path and you can try changing the name of that folder to Personal-Folder. But, it's more likely that extension is only geared up for http and https entries.

Add your local file to your Home button, where I know it'll work. Don't forget you can have multiple pages/entries on a Home Button.

As you'll appreciate, your wants here are very 'edge case' and I'm busy. I'll leave you to it, good luck.