Upgrading To 57 A Big Mistake

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wingspar

Upgrading To 57 A Big Mistake

Post by wingspar »

Just upgraded to 57 from 56. Big Big Mistake. My theme is gone. My windows are gone. I hate tabs. How can I go back to 56?
Gary
Will Fly for Food
DanRaisch

Re: Upgrading To 57 A Big Mistake

Post by DanRaisch »

You don't want to go back to 56 due to known security issues with that older version.
See this article -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185315
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

But I do want to go back. I hate this 57 with a passion. Why fix what isn’t broke. I hate tabs.
Gary
Will Fly for Food
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Going to the ESR version is going back. It still permits the use of legacy extensions, etc, and it will continue to get security updates for a while.
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

Then, tell me how I can get rid of the tabs and have windows only. What happened to the NOIA theme? This simple tools for clearing cache seems to be gone. That has always been a simple little window making it easy to use. That option seems to be totally gone. Been using FF for so many years I can’t remember, but this is absolutely the worst I’ve ever seen. Why does the appearance have to change so much that it no longer seems useful. Very user unfriendly if you ask me.
Gary
Will Fly for Food
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't think you're actually reading my replies. If you install the ESR version (52.x) you will be able to use the old extensions that provided for the blocking of tabs, use of the Noia theme, etc, etc. etc. And clearing the cache, although that last option is still available in version 57 as well.
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

That isn’t what I want to do. I want to go back to 56. I found the clear cache and something that disturbs me greatly. Site Data. I found stuff in there that should Never ever be there. Stuff I deleted with 56. I cleared that, but it disturbs me that stuff showed up at all.

Why can’t I have windows only in 57?
Gary
Will Fly for Food
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Because as far as I can recall that functionality was added by an extension that is not compatible with version 57.

Why don't you want to install the ESR version?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

wingspar wrote:Just upgraded to 57 from 56. Big Big Mistake. My theme is gone. My windows are gone. I hate tabs. How can I go back to 56?
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.2/
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

wingspar wrote:I hate tabs.
I was afraid I was the only one in the world that felt that way. I'm happy to find a fellow sufferer. I don't understand the love affair with tabs.

There used to be extensions that would at least allow "Open link in new window" to be ordered above "Open link in new tab" but such an option it too horrible to allow now I guess.
Patrick O'Keefe
Win11 x64 Pro, FF 113.0.2 TB 102.7.2
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just make sure your running a really good anti-virus with that out of date and vulnerable version of Firefox.
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
wingspar wrote:Just upgraded to 57 from 56. Big Big Mistake. My theme is gone. My windows are gone. I hate tabs. How can I go back to 56?
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.2/
Thank you very much for that link. It took a couple of minutes to figure all that out, but I downloaded 56.0.2. I don’t have time to mess with it now and I’ll do a backup before I install it, but what will happen to all my settings and bookmarks when I install it? Will it keep all those settings like it would when upgrading?
Gary
Will Fly for Food
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

DanRaisch wrote:
Because as far as I can recall that functionality was added by an extension that is not compatible with version 57.

Why don't you want to install the ESR version?
Yes, windows was an extension that has worked perfect for years. I think it was added as an extension from all the requests to bring windows back. Why take that functionality away?

Long story short. I have a netbook with XP on it. I rarely use it, but I used to upgrade FF on the netbook to have a good look at it before I upgraded on my main computer running Win 7. All of a sudden, that wasn’t working anymore and asking questions about it, I discovered that I had been changed to ESR (I still don’t understand what that is and why it exists) on the netbook and I could no longer use it to upgrade FF to have a look at it before upgrading my main computer. Had I been able to upgrade to 57 on the netbook and saw what a fiasco 57 is, I never would have upgraded to 57 on my main computer.

Look at the screen shot below. Just look at all that wasted space. Space that was occupied by the site I was looking at in 56. I know a lot of people like tabs. My other half does, but I have never understood why anyone would want tabs and I don’t want tabs. I hate them.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/166 ... iginal.jpg
Last edited by Daifne on January 12th, 2018, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.
Gary
Will Fly for Food
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

pokeefe0001 wrote:
wingspar wrote:I hate tabs.
I was afraid I was the only one in the world that felt that way. I'm happy to find a fellow sufferer. I don't understand the love affair with tabs.

There used to be extensions that would at least allow "Open link in new window" to be ordered above "Open link in new tab" but such an option it too horrible to allow now I guess.
FF removed the windows feature a long time ago. I forget what version. There was enough of an uproar from users that FF developed an extension that allowed users to continue using windows. Now, they have again taken the windows feature away. I don’t understand why they have to mess with the interface every time they do a so called “upgrade”. Maybe if enough people complain about no windows, they will create an extension that will allow us the option. Maybe a separate thread about that would get their attention.
Gary
Will Fly for Food
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

DanRaisch wrote:Just make sure your running a really good anti-virus with that out of date and vulnerable version of Firefox.
56 was last updated in October. To me, that is NOT old and outdated. Yes, I run a very strong firewall and antivirus.
Gary
Will Fly for Food