Profile backup. Restore bookmarks does not work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
teh roxxors

Profile backup. Restore bookmarks does not work

Post by teh roxxors »

Supposedly, I could make a backup of the entire profile folder from Users\[user]\Appdata\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. I did that on two separate dates.

I've also been backing up my bookmarks for years. This morning was my latest backup.

I reinstalled Windows 7 and Firefox. The restoration procedure for Profiles does not seem to work. I cannot just copy the contents of my backup into whatever the existing profile is called following a fresh installation--it does absolutely nothing.

Restoring bookmarks is not working, either. After choosing the file, nothing happens. Ever.

This is the first time I've tried to restore a Profile. I honestly don't give a crap if it works or not, despite the myriad claims and online instructions. But I expect to get my bookmarks back. I've never had a problem with it before, so what is going on?

If I can't get this installation up and running, how do I COMPLETELY uninstall FireFox, so that NOTHING is left to confuse another attempt at setting it up? Uninstalling from the Control Panel seems to delete the program, but none of the user data.
DanRaisch

Re: Profile backup. Restore bookmarks does not work

Post by DanRaisch »

It's likely you did not restore the backup data so the profile could be found by Firefox upon launching. See this article for information -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
teh roxxors

Post by teh roxxors »

How often does anyone update these articles? There is no Tools\Switch Profile option in FireFox with which to launch the Profile Manager. Nor is it to be found via the ALT\Tools menu. Are we just supposed to get to it via a command line?

Doesn't matter. I managed to get my bookmarks back. I'll get my passwords, cookies, and form entries restored, myself, eventually.

Thanks for the reply.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear that.

On the other hand, that article read "SeaMonkey (or Mozilla Suite) users can access the Profile Manager from an open program window by selecting "Tools -> Switch Profile..." from the menu." It was not suggested that Firefox users could use the same menu path or anything other than the command line..
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

teh roxxors wrote:Supposedly, I could make a backup of the entire profile folder from Users\[user]\Appdata\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. I did that on two separate dates.
The Profile folder which contains your Firefox data is in the AppData\Roaming folder path.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Read this thread you might find the information there useful for the future: [Solved] Problem Moving Profile from v56 to v57
therube

Post by therube »

Find out where your new Profile is.
Find out where your old backed up Profile is.

Delete everything from within the new Profile.
Copy everything from the old Profile (backup) into the (now empty) new Profile.

Start FF.
Should work.
(Backup before you start)

Was your old FF also 57?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

@therube

The thread I pointed to describes a situation in which copying everything from an old profile into a new profile just didn't work when moving from FF v56 to FF v57. FF 57 just didn't registered the copied-profile data, it seems.
CrazyLarry

Post by CrazyLarry »

I've the same problem,,,but if I go to my downloads folder and into the Firefox folder that has been extracted.....doubleclick on the gear icon then the bookmark star and the bookmarks icon appear as Firefox loads.....but after exiting and reloading Firefox the bookmarking icons have disappeared again. ...but if I go back in the Firefox folder and doubleclick on the Firefox gear icon again the star and bookmark icon reappear again. I'm using the newest Sparky Linux and Firefox Quantum...I don't know what to do......I've tried several things but same results.
CrazyLarry

Post by CrazyLarry »

Well I fixed my problem.....I replaced Sparky Linux with Linux Mint Mate and now everything is working as it should.
Thanks for letting me post.