Mouse buttons and tab focus

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AndrewAM

Mouse buttons and tab focus

Post by AndrewAM »

Used to be that a middle click would open a link in the same tab, and a left click would open the link in a new tab.

Do I have to become accustomed to the reverse behavior in FF57 or is there a way to reassign or swap the mouse buttons?
LIMPET235

Re: Mouse buttons and tab focus

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I remember it the other way around. Middle click has always opened a new tab, and left click always opened in the same tab (unless a website specifically asked for each link to open a new window/tab).

There may be or have been a preference that you could change in about:config to always open a new tab with a left click, but this was probably something you had changed via an extension like Tab Mix Plus, which hasn't been updated for Fx57 as of yet. Even if it could be updated, it will be missing much of its original functionality, as 57 won't allow some things the way previous versions did.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
therube

Post by therube »

Used to be that a middle click would open a link in the same tab, and a left click would open the link in a new tab.
That is non-standard.
Did you have an extension that affected what you were seeing?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
AndrewAM

Post by AndrewAM »

Did you have an extension that affected what you were seeing?
Probably, I had a bunch. But no going back so I'll just get used to this.