Restart with the newest FF please? = SORTED

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
madmudmob

Restart with the newest FF please? = SORTED

Post by madmudmob »

One thing I haver not discovered with the latest Firefox is how to restart and have the existing pages reload once it has.

With my previous (ESR) Firefox I had a little icon/button to do that but I can not find out how to do it with the newest version. I seem to remember the icon was one I found by searching the available add-ons.

I have explored to see if there is an add-on that provides the little icon to do it or another way but haven't had any success ..... could one of you kind folk point me in the right direction please?
Last edited by madmudmob on January 16th, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud is good!
smsmith

Re: Is there any way to do a restart with the newest FF plea

Post by smsmith »

You can type about:profiles into the address bar and hit enter. In the upper right of the page that opens, you will find two restart buttons. Make a bookmark of the page for easier use.

I do not believe any of the restart button extensions have been updated for v57.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

Perfect .... thankyou so much Image
Mud is good!
madmudmob

Re: Restart with the newest FF please? = SORTED

Post by madmudmob »

Well, how gutted am I?! Gone all gone!

All was wonderful when I shut down my pc last night, I was so chuffed, but when I started it this morning all the lovely customisations had gone.

They were still there written in the file but just plain didn't work.

I deleted Chrome and the zip file it came in, cleaned (even did a disk cleanup from the right click menu of the pc's main background page) and restarted the pc then used Frank Lion's lovely link to make a new Chrome. But, when I put the customisations in again they still didn't work.

All that fun/work gone .... anyone kindly advise me pretty please?
Mud is good!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No offense but are you sure you're starting Firefox with the correct profile, the one that includes the customizations?
madmudmob

Post by madmudmob »

No offence at all :)

Yes, I thought of that too and checked. Then I ticked it to open the one I wanted automatically (the right one, my main one as I think of it) rather than offer me the choice of my main one or the test one I made ages ago.
Mud is good!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

smsmith wrote:You can type about:profiles into the address bar and hit enter. In the upper right of the page that opens, you will find two restart buttons.
Users should be careful to pick the right restart button there, as one of them will indeed restart Firefox ....in SafeMode, with all extensions and the chrome folder disabled.
I do not believe any of the restart button extensions have been updated for v57.
Correct. However, when I was doing 30 restarts an hour in the 57 Release build (theming stuff) I used this method -

Hamburger > Web Dev > Developer Toolbar and type restart into the bar.

The bar only has to be opened once and it appears again upon restart. However, being utter rubbish, like the rest of those 'Web Dev' tools, it sometime doesn't and you just manually restart.

Bookmarking the about:profiles page and selecting the right Restart button is a better method.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
allande

Post by allande »

Go to about:profiles and open the folder from there using the open folder link on the line that says root directory, and check if it is really the folder name you think it should be and if you see the Chrome subfolder with your modified file in it.

If that does not help, try using this program http://www.pnotepad.org/ Programmer's Notepad to view your userChrome.css file. Once you figure out what the colors mean you may be able to see yourself if the file has been screwed up by something like opening a comment or brace without closing it.