FF Security Issues

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wiggam72

FF Security Issues

Post by Wiggam72 »

Can someone please tell me why the new FF took away the option to have a download go to any folder or drive you want?

I have to use the extension Save In just so I can DL files to a different folder, but even with that, I can no longer DL a file to a drive without it creating a folder and putting the DL file into it.

It’s also very irritating even when using JDownloader, I can no longer have a file go straight to a drive without the file being in an automatically created folder. On top of that, it prevents JDownloader from auto-extracting rar files.

Why does it force the file to go into a folder and not purely a drive, and why the rar file issue? What is the supposed security risk?
Brummelchen

Re: FF Security Issues

Post by Brummelchen »

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Wiggam72 wrote:Can someone please tell me why the new FF took away the option to have a download go to any folder or drive you want?
We're good, but can't read the Mozilla developers minds as to why they do what they do with preferences. Just learn to be happy that "someone" came up with a fix.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
morat

Post by morat »

I can save a file to the root folder with the download api if the downloads folder is the root folder.

Downloads folder = C:\
Download file = C:\test.txt

Code: Select all

chrome.downloads.download({
  url: "http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt",
  filename: "test.txt",
}, function (downloadId) {});
Reference
http://developer.chrome.com/extensions/downloads
Last edited by morat on January 24th, 2018, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Brummelchen wrote:you asked that before
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14777300
I never got a definitive answer. Save In is only a partial solution and doesn't address whether or not using it is definitely a security issue. I use Avast and every once in a while it will flag it as a security risk.

As of now, I still haven't had definitive answers that addresses the questions I asked in this thread.
the-edmeister wrote:
Wiggam72 wrote:Can someone please tell me why the new FF took away the option to have a download go to any folder or drive you want?
the-edmeister wrote:We're good, but can't read the Mozilla developers minds as to why they do what they do with preferences. Just learn to be happy that "someone" came up with a fix.
What fix are you referring to? If you're referring to Save In, as I posted above, it is only a partial fix because I still cannot DL to a drive without it creating a folder and placing the DL file into the created folder. And unfortunately it can't force JDownloader to work the way it did prior to the new FF version. Save In has no effect at all on JDownloader.
therube

Post by therube »

the new FF took away the option to have a download go to any folder or drive you want?
How so?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

therube wrote:How so?
I have no idea, can download anywhere I want, to any folder, any drive.
Sounds like a case of using an ancient profile with 57 to me....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Whoa, wait a minute! You mean to tell me that the issue I'm having is only with me? I thought everyone else had the same issue. I heard that the devs removed that feature for security reasons but so far I haven't been able to confirm whether or not that is true.

So what can I do to make FF able to DL where I want? And that goes for JDownloader as well.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

is does not help you if you ask over and over again the same question, in special when this is a firefox forum and not jdownloader. from my view it has been answered twice now what might possible - if your system dont allow this its up on you to determine why. maybe limited rights user, not admin.
therube

Post by therube »

Options | General -> Downloads ---> Ask me where to save files (or some similar place in 58).
Also, by default, FF remembers download locations, by domain (I believe it is).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Wiggam72 wrote:You mean to tell me that the issue I'm having is only with me?
YES
Wiggam72 wrote:I thought everyone else had the same issue.
NO

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

FF remembers download locations, by domain
yes, it do. once changed manually some need to change back manually, there exist no entry in the permissions tab when pressing "i" > arrow left > "more information"

or reset for all -> delete "permissions.sqlite"
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

In Nightly 60 and in 58 mentioned above: "Always ask you where to save files" is available. No extra downloader needed. Personally, I download everything to O:\Downloads for simplicity. Then I can easily open two File Explorer windows and drag it somewhere else if desired or if needed for installation. :wink:
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i load in a sandbox where no outbreak is possible and access limited, either programs, also as forced.
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

In Windows (perhaps ever since Vista), the default permissions on the boot drive (i.e. C:\, in most cases) do not allow non-administrative users to create files (as opposed to folders) there.
So that would mean anyone who does so with Firefox, has changed the file system permissions, or is running FF with administrator privileges. Perhaps the former is all the OP needs to do.