MozillaZine

Is it safe to upgrade to 58 yet?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 59
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted January 24th, 2018, 2:38 pm

And if you don't know the answer, please refrain from posting.

This is because of the extension errors that were introduced with 57.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119900
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted January 24th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Version 58 does not move Firefox backwards to restore compatibility with legacy extensions. Any legacy extension that worked with 57 should work with 58. There have also been new web extensions released since version 57 was introduced which may provide some or all of the functionality of a given legacy extension. You'd have to look through the extensions on AMO to see if the extensions you are concerned about have been replaced in that way.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 18904
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted January 24th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Right.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 59
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 1:47 pm

I'm on FF56 and currently cannot find out if the extensions I rely on have been updated to work with later versions of FF due to the addons page at mozilla not listing such information.
You'd have to look through the extensions on AMO to see if the extensions you are concerned about have been replaced in that way.

Do you know just how many extensions come up with "password exporter"?
And did you know that only the first link provides the required functionality to be installed on my machines.
Plural: I run quite a few machines and need to maintain the passwords on them all so exporting the passwords is critical to the mission.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119900
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Do you know just how many extensions come up with "password exporter"?

No
And did you know that only the first link provides the required functionality to be installed on my machines.

No

smsmith
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 19722
Joined: December 7th, 2004, 8:51 pm
Location: Indiana

Post Posted January 30th, 2018, 2:45 pm

D.Dancer wrote:I run quite a few machines and need to maintain the passwords on them all so exporting the passwords is critical to the mission.

Firefox Sync should sync your passwords. On your main, most up to date computer (i.e., all your passwords are current) sign up for Sync and make sure syncing logins is enabled.

On each other computer, sign in using your Firefox sync account and the passwords will sync between computers.

The data is encrypted and only available to you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... y-computer
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 18904
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 11:44 am

cannot find out if the extensions I rely on have been updated

Do the pages not show something similar to, "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0a1). You are using Firefox 56.0."?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 302
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 1:55 pm

therube wrote:
cannot find out if the extensions I rely on have been updated

Do the pages not show something similar to, "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0a1). You are using Firefox 56.0."?

There are many addons that no longer work, with the newer version of Firefox, but, so, far, I really don't miss most of them. There are a couple I do miss such as ColorfulTabs, but those I can wait for until there's an update to make them work again, but I, will say that I really like the newer version of Firefox, which, I now have, 58.0.1, and is much faster and cleaner then the older versions. 8-)

mightyglydd

User avatar
 
Posts: 9198
Joined: November 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Location: Hollywood Ca.

Post Posted January 31st, 2018, 2:00 pm

Is it safe to upgrade to 58 yet?
For you? NO.
#KeepFightingMichael

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 59
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 13th, 2018, 2:29 pm

smsmith wrote:
D.Dancer wrote:I run quite a few machines and need to maintain the passwords on them all so exporting the passwords is critical to the mission.

Firefox Sync should sync your passwords. On your main, most up to date computer (i.e., all your passwords are current) sign up for Sync and make sure syncing logins is enabled.

On each other computer, sign in using your Firefox sync account and the passwords will sync between computers.

The data is encrypted and only available to you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... y-computer


NO

I do not want all my personal passwords on my work machine for example, but I do need to maintain a list of which passwords are on which machine so WHEN I change them, I know exactly how many machines will be affected by the change.

I maintain my passwords in an external program database that also generates the passwords for me, and achieve a ultra strong password that beats many password generators out on the internet.

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20029
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted May 13th, 2018, 3:38 pm

D.Dancer wrote:
NO

I do not want all my personal passwords on my work machine for example, but I do need to maintain a list of which passwords are on which machine so WHEN I change them, I know exactly how many machines will be affected by the change.

I maintain my passwords in an external program database that also generates the passwords for me, and achieve a ultra strong password that beats many password generators out on the internet.

Yeah, whatever. The whole thread topic is moot considering that you are now using Firefox 59.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted May 14th, 2018, 5:57 am

current is version 60, please update.

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 59
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 16th, 2018, 10:32 am

Frank Lion wrote:Yeah, whatever. The whole thread topic is moot considering that you are now using Firefox 59.

No I am not, where did you get that idea from?

Oh wait, is it because I have several machines and have the ability to post from any of them?

I let one machine upgrade, and the results are less than, ok.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted May 16th, 2018, 10:56 am

if you dont want firefox go waterfox please.

and Frank is more that right - you try fooling us with user agents and you answer is pointless
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0

either you want to deal with quantum or not. mixing up shows up that your interests in quantum are not really present.
thats why i suggest waterfox because waterfox ist resisting on v56 and its upcoming fixes rom firefox quantum.

D.Dancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 59
Joined: February 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Post Posted May 16th, 2018, 11:19 am

Brummelchen wrote:if you dont want firefox go waterfox please.

and Frank is more that right - you try fooling us with user agents and you answer is pointless
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0

either you want to deal with quantum or not. mixing up shows up that your interests in quantum are not really present.
thats why i suggest waterfox because waterfox ist resisting on v56 and its upcoming fixes rom firefox quantum.


Not playing games with useragent switching, I have several machines, I permitted one machine to upgrade to 59.0.3 and it broke a lot of functionality of the, rig, so to speak.

For example, none of my passwords were preserved through the upgrade. Which is why I am super happy that I have an external password file, I would of been super pissed if I lost all my passwords due to Firefox eating them.

Some of the extensions that are supposed to work with 59, don't work as expected with 59, e.g. Stylish & Greasemonkey for example, they are requiring a large number of tweaks to work.

My bookmarks got borked.

So, the answer is, it is NOT safe to upgrade from 56 yet.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], LIMPET235 and 15 guests