MozillaZine

Firefox Profile - Two Different Locations?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BrowseMail

Post Posted January 28th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Hi,

I notice that Firefox profiles are located in two places on my PC:

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Which do I need to copy for backup purposes? Why are they in two different locations (Local and Roaming)?

I am using Firefox 58.0 on Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks.

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 28th, 2018, 5:22 pm

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

That's the actual profile location and where you should be going for the data to backup.

I believe the "Local" directory is the place that Thunderbird uses to store cached data to improve performance but it does not store your actual message data.

the-edmeister

Post Posted January 29th, 2018, 3:53 am

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles is where the Cache files are stored for Firefox, along with safe browsing data, and other miscellaneous files & folders of a "temporary" nature related to browsing activity. With Quantum "activity-stream" data is also in that "Profile folder".

The "Main Profile folder" in the Roaming path is where all user saved data and prefs are stored, along with whatever is added to Firefox beyond the program files for the browser installation - both by Mozilla and by the user.

Off-topic for this discussion, but something I'm throwing in for the hell of it since this is about an extension.
User installed extensions and "program" extensions are in that Roaming "Profile folder", along with a folder named browser-extension-data for user data used by / saved by an extension; separate GUID labeled folders for each extension inside that "b-e-d" folder.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

BrowseMail

Post Posted January 29th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Thanks for your replies.

If I visit about:cache, I can indeed see that Firefox's cache is stored in C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

Return to Firefox Support